When Leo Fender† launched the G&L SB•1™ bass in 1982, he packed his latest innovations in pickup and bridge design into a straightforward, hard-working bass. At that time the SB•1 had an MFD single coil pickup and no pickguard, which was a departure from the classic single-pickup passive bass. By 1985, however, the SB•1 had taken the form it has today, with an MFD split-coil humbucking pickup and pickguard. In some way, the SB•1 set the stage for several G&L models to come: Leo took a a classic design and applied his core improvements, in this case, the MFD pickup and Saddle Lock bridge.
The Fullerton Deluxe SB•1 starts with a familiar shape, though subtle modifications to its sculpting make it more sleek and balanced. Strap it on and it immediately feels at home, yet somehow more comfortable than you expected. The 1 5/8″ nut-width, C-shaped neck falls immediately to hand, checking in with a comfortable 9 1/2″ radius and 21 Jescar 57110 medium-jumbo nickel-silver frets frets ready to deliver silky playability.
Once the SB•1 has nestled into your comfort zone, it’s time to experience just how far Leo evolved the time honored simplicity of a single split-coil pickup. You see, the Magnetic Field Design™ interpretation of the split-coil was created by Leo to give you more gusto without losing detail and finesse. What’s more, the SB•1 features an innovative Leo Fender-designed Saddle-Lock™ bridge to transfer string energy right into the body end-grain for an incredibly resonant instrument.
- CONSTRUCTION: bolt-on
- SCALE: 34"
- PICKUPS: Leo Fender†-designed G&L MFD™ split-coil
- BODY WOOD: Alder and Westen Sugar Pine
- NECK WOOD: Hard-Rock Satin Finish Maple with Maple fingerboard
- NECK PROFILE: G&L 1 5/8" Medium C with 9 1/2" radius
- FRETS: Medium Jumbo, Jescar 57110 18% nickel silver
- TUNING KEYS: Custom G&L "Ultra-Lite" with aluminum tapered string posts
- BRIDGE: Leo Fender-designed G&L Saddle-Lock™ with chrome-plated brass saddles
- ELECTRONICS: volume, tone
- CASE: G&L deluxe gig bag
- Instrument Weight: 8.9 lbs