PRS Paul Reed Smith Archon 100 All-Tube 50/100W Guitar Amplifier Head
Greek for “ruler” or “lord,” the PRS Archon is a commanding and versatile 2-channel amp with aggressive overdriven tones and sparkling cleans with plenty of headroom. The Archon’s lead channel was designed with five gain stages before the master volume, delivering full, lush distortion. The clean channel provides ample headroom with rich clear tones that retain clarity even at high volume and are an excellent platform for pedals. The Archon has remarkably responsive tone with incredible note separation, whether you’re playing on the clean channel or chugging on the lead.
6L6 tubes offer plenty of versatility and warmer, more balanced tone across the full range of frequencies. They will also push with less saturation for a bit of a sweeter, smoother tone.
Utilizing a ‘no flash or trash’ approach, the Archon’s control layout features volume and tone controls for each channel, a global depth control to add a thunderous low end, and a presence control to effect the high end chime. A half-power switch allows players to choose either 100 or 50 watts of output adding to the Archon’s extreme flexibility.
- Very high quality on-on-on switches, panel-mounted
- Panel-mounted alpha pots with flying leads
- Robust PC boards with extensive handwired construction
- Shielded signal cable in critical areas for low noise
- Thick aluminum chassis for strength and low weight
- Mechanical relays for pure audio signal transfer
- Chassis mounted Belton tube sockets
- Components designed and constructed for ease of servicing
- Half Power Switch
- All pre-amp tubes have elevated heaters for quieter operation (diminishes 60 cycle hum)
- Tubes hand selected for low noise and high gain
- Bias test jacks for easy biasing without removing the chassis
- Fuses accessible from outside of chassis for easy replacement
- Available Configurations: Head Only
- Wattage (Nominal): 100 Watts
Front Panel Controls
- Lead Channel: Volume, Treble, Middle, Bright Switch, Master
- Clean Channel: Volume, Treble, Middle, Bright Switch, Master
- Global: Depth, Presence
Back Panel Features
- Inlet: Fused Power Inlet (IEC)
- Effects Loop: Loop Return, Loop Send
- Output Power Switch: 100/50 Watt Half Power Switch
- Bias: Fixed Bias, Adjustable (bias jacks accessible from back panel)
- Extension Speaker Jacks: 2, Parallel
- Ohm Switching: 4, 8, 16 Ohms
- Channels: Lead & Clean
- Cabinet Material / Construction: Birch Plywood, Fingerjoint
- Covering: Stealth
- Panel: Anodized Aluminum
- Power Tubes: (4) 6L6GC
- Preamp Tubes: (6) 12AX7
Preamp Tube Positions & Functions
- V1: 12AX7, Common Input
- V2: 12AX7, Lead
- V3: 12AX7, Lead
- V4: 12AX7, Clean
- V5: 12AX7, Phase Inverter
- V6: 12AX7, Effects Loop
- Amp Width: 21.5"
- Amp Depth: 10.5"
- Amp Height: 10"
- Amp Weight: 43 lbs.