The Custom 24 is the quintessential PRS guitar. This iconic instrument was the first model that Paul Reed Smith brought to the public at PRS Guitars’ first Winter NAMM show in 1985 and has been a top seller ever since. Played by internationally touring artists, gigging musicians, and aspiring players, the Custom 24 features PRS’s patented Gen III tremolo system and PRS \m/ pickups with volume and tone controls and a 5-way blade switch. The PRS \m/ pickups are great for heavier styles of music and were designed with the metal community in mind. Both the treble and bass \m/ pickups are wound in house at PRS and utilize ceramic magnets for full, powerful and crystal clear tones. Whether used with massive amounts of gain or played clean, \m/ pickups are the perfect tool for the player who wants an aggressive and articulate tone.
There are several appointments on this guitar that make this truly an exclusive piece. The following are not available on standard CORE Custom 24 models:
- Hand Selected Quilt Maple Top
- Swamp Ash Lightweight Body
- East Indian Rosewood Neck
- Brazilian Rosewood Fretboard
- Green Ripple Outline Inlays
- \m/ Pickups
- Satin Purple Mist Finish
- Smoked Black Hardware
The Custom 24 is the original PRS. Since its introduction, it has offered a unique tonal option for serious players and defined PRS tone and playability.
Pickup Switching Positions
- Position One: Bridge humbucker
- Position Two: Bridge humbucker with neck singlecoil, in parallel
- Position Three: Bridge and neck humbuckers
- Position Four: Neck singlecoil with bridge singlecoil, in parallel
- Position Five: Neck humbucker
Pattern Neck Shapes
Neck shapes have always been a high priority for PRS and a hallmark of our quality. A guitar should feel comfortable, like "home," as soon as you pick it up, and the neck is paramount to that connection. These new neck shapes reflect modern tooling and programming that allows us to even more preciously shape and consistently reproduce our necks. The "Pattern Thin" neck is an updated version of PRS’s traditional Wide Thin neck.
It’s All in the Details: TCI-Tuned Pickups
Paul Reed Smith is known as a man who studies history, scrutinizes the details, and never stops applying what he learns to his own instruments. It is that passion, care, and tenacity that has permeated PRS Guitars’ culture and led to the constant evolution of PRS products. Last year, PRS announced TCI (tuned capacitance and inductance) pickups on the Paul’s Guitar. But, TCI is more than a pickup, it’s a process. That process has now been applied to all PRS pickups offered on our Core line of instruments, with the exception of a few artist Signature models.
“TCI stands for Tuned Capacitance Inductance. When you wind a pickup, the coils are capacitors, resistors, and inductors simultaneously. Our more refined ability to be able to tune those factors is what we have incorporated into TCI pickups,” said Paul Reed Smith. “To our ears, the results are very musical. We are very proud of how far we’ve come in the understanding and making of pickups. It’s been a fun process.”
- Model: Wood Library Custom 24
- Color: Satin Purple Mist
- Top: Quilt Maple 10-Top
- Back: Swamp Ash
- Binding: Natural
- Construction: Set Neck
- Fretboard: Brazilian Rosewood
- Neck: East Indian Rosewood
- Scale Length: 25"
- Fretboard Radius: 10"
- Neck Profile: Pattern Thin - 1 11/16" width and 26/32" depth @ nut
- Frets: 24
- Inlays: Green Ripple Outlines
- Headstock Veneer: Brazilian Rosewood
- Pickups: \m/ Metal Bass and Treble
- Controls: Volume, Tone
- Pickup Selector: 5-Way Blade Switch
- Bridge: PRS Gen III Tremolo
- Tuners: PRS Phase III Locking
- Hardware Finish: Smoked Black Chrome
- Case: Black Paisley Deluxe Hardshell
- Instrument Weight: 7.3 lbs.