Divine a new world of sound with the S-1 Tweak Synth, a potent micro polysynth inspired by the legendary Roland SH-101. Jam with the snappy basses and expressive leads you’ve loved for years. Then launch your music into uncharted territory with futuristic wave manipulation, onboard sequencing, and unique performance features designed for modern creators. With its inspiring hands-on controls and intuitive workflow, the powerful S-1 delivers a fun and satisfying experience for beginners and serious synth adventurers alike.
- Ultra-portable polysynth inspired by the legendary SH-101
- Authentic SH-101 sound driven by Roland’s evolving Analog Circuit Behavior (ACB) technology
- Craft all-new tones with powerful oscillator drawing, oscillator chop, and riser tools
- Mono, poly, unison, and chord modes and four-voice polyphony
- Square, sawtooth, sub, and noise oscillators
- Hands-on panel with familiar synth controls for instant sound shaping and live performance tweaks
- Onboard keyboard with two-plus octave range
- 64-step sequencer and 64 patterns for on-the-spot song creation
- Advanced programming tools, including motion recording, probability, sub step, last step, and velocity
- Easy-to-use arpeggiator with eight phrase types
- D-Motion feature for controlling pitch, mod, and other parameters by physically moving the S-1
- Color and process your sounds with a variety of delay, reverb, and chorus effects
- Comprehensive connectivity with audio, MIDI, and sync I/O plus AIRA Link
- Class-compliant USB-C audio/MIDI interface—no drivers needed
- Lithium-ion battery with up to 4.5 hours of operation per charge
- Sturdy construction and high-quality rubber pads
- Connect to other AIRA Compacts and standard MIDI devices with optional BOSS TRS MIDI cables Iconic. Sonic. Bionic.
The S-1 merges retro spirit and advanced capabilities in a pocket-size package you can take anywhere. Our evolving Analog Circuit Behavior (ACB) tech provides the authentic tone and response of the SH-101, an iconic ’80s monosynth embraced for its characterful sound and simple, direct-access panel. Extending the original’s design with four-voice polyphony and a slate of innovative features for next-level music creation, the S-1 makes it easy for musicians at any level to explore the power of synthesis through a friendly, uncomplicated interface.
Tone tweaker’s paradise.
Loaded with expressive tactile controls, the S-1 is a sound design and performance powerhouse in miniature. Create lavish tones with oscillator, envelope, filter, and LFO sections. Dive into deeper design tools with quick combo button presses. Adjust effects using dedicated knobs. And with 26 multi-function pads, you have access to a keyboard with a two-plus octave range, a step sequencer interface, and a wealth of creative options to spark fresh ideas.
Wild sound design.
The S-1 is primed to push classic SH tones into new dimensions. Build from square, saw, sub, and noise oscillators and mono, poly, unison, and chord modes. Or craft custom waveshapes on the step pads using the powerful OSC Draw function. OSC Chop unlocks even more harmonic potential, allowing you to cut waveforms into sections and explore a labyrinth of metallic timbres. Then top off your tones by using the noise oscillator as an independent riser to add sweeps and pulsing sound effects.
Create compelling music in moments with the S-1’s 64-step sequencer and 64 patterns. Record live with the onboard keyboard or switch to step mode for detailed note entry and editing. Use motion recording to animate patterns with panel control tweaks or set parameter values for individual steps. Then delve into probability settings for randomization, sub steps for rapid-fire rhythms, and other features like velocity, shuffle, portamento, and more to bring your music to life.
The S-1 is packed with features to inspire dynamic performances. Get physical with D-Motion to create compelling sound changes simply by moving the synth. Pop on the arpeggiator for cascading musical moments. Trigger the Step Loop function for live fills and on-the-fly rhythmic improv. And transpose patterns with just a few quick touches to instantly add harmonic richness to your jams.
Enhance your sonic palette with a wide selection of classic Roland effects. Add shimmering dimension with lush choruses derived from the iconic JUNO and JX-3P synths. Introduce spaciousness and movement with manual and tempo-synced delays. Then envelop your sounds with studio-grade reverb effects and a variety of adjustable parameters.
The S-1 has all the connectivity you need to sync with your musical world. Link up with other AIRA Compacts like the T-8 Beat Machine, J-6 Chord Synthesizer, and E-4 Voice Tweaker to create a portable creative juggernaut. Interface with computer DAWS and mobile music apps via USB-C. Or use the S-1 and its MIDI I/O as a standalone sound module in a larger performance rig.
Everywhere at once.
The S-1 is ready to deliver instant inspiration anytime and anywhere. The lithium-ion battery provides up to 4.5 hours of runtime per charge, while the rugged Roland build will support you through years of musical journeys.
- User Patterns: 64
- Step Sequencer: 64 steps
- Effects: DELAY, REVERB, CHORUS
- Display: 7 segments, 4 characters (LED)
- SYNC (IN, OUT) jacks: Miniature phone type
- MIX (IN, OUT) /PHONES jacks: Stereo miniature phone type
- MIDI (IN, OUT) jacks: Stereo miniature phone type
- USB port: USB Type-C® (Audio, MIDI)
- Power Supply
- Rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- Obtained via USB port (USB bus power)
- Current Draw: 500 mA
- Expected battery life under continuous use: Approx. 4.5 hours
- These figures will vary depending on the actual conditions of use.
- Expected battery charging time: Approx. 3 hours
- To charge the unit, use the USB port of a computer or a commercially available USB power supply adaptor (5 V, 500 mA or higher).
- 188 (W) x 106 (D) x 36.2 (H) mm
- 7-7/16 (W) x 4-3/16 (D) x 1-7/16 (H) inches
- Weight (including batteries): 305 g 11 oz
- Leaflet ”Read Me First”
- USB Type-C to USB Type-A cable