This product has been discontinued.
As much as we adore Strats and Teles, sometimes the most exciting new Fender arrivals here at the shop are the "offset" models. They have a completely rad personality and vibe to them... and boy, does this one fit that bill. Here's a brand new Johnny Marr Signature Jaguar in its recently-released Fever Dream Yellow finish. Best known as the guitarist and songwriter of the Smiths, his go-to Fender axe has become as iconic in the guitar world as his playing and writing has in music history in general.
The amount of customizations and unique features on this Jag is pretty diverse for a signature model. To start, Fender commissioned the venerable Bare Knuckle Pickups to wind a special set for this guitar to fit Marr's preference, and given that Fender winds some pretty killer pickups themselves for their other guitars of this level, these Bare Knuckles must be something special... and they are. They are very clear and dynamic, with a slight mid-scoop that nails that vintage tonality extremely well. They sound amazing into the vintage-inspired amps we have here at the shop, and they overdrive awesomely. The pickup switch can put the pickups in series for a humbucker-esque sound, which is quite the unique tone given these are Jaguar pickups. Extra bright switches give you some extra tweaking options in case you need the guitar to brighten up even more.
Marr also opted for some improvements to the vintage specification of the guitar - a more stable and secure trem system and 22 frets. The former really made us feel more comfortable getting a little more out there while using the bar. Lastly, the special neck profile really helps you feel exactly what Johnny plays night in night out, as it's based on his personal vintage Jag.
For the discerning player who wants something a little more unique for an entry into the offset guitar world, you can't go wrong with the venerable Johnny Marr sig.
The Johnny Marr Jaguar® is a fantastically non-standard model that is as distinctive as the sounds he wrings from it.
For specially voiced tone worthy of such an inventive and versatile guitarist, this Jaguar is built with ""Bare Knuckle"" Johnny Marr single-coil custom-wound neck and bridge pickups. Rather than traditional slide switches, Marr’s signature Jaguar has a special four-way blade pickup switch on the lower horn, delivering the bridge pickup alone, the bridge and neck pickups in parallel, the neck pickup alone, and the neck and bridge pickups in series. In an extra-special design element, the upper horn of the Johnny Marr Jaguar features two slide switches—a "universal" bright switch that kicks everything up a notch or two, and a separate bright switch that only affects the ""series"" pickup switch position.
The Johnny Marr Jaguar features special nylon bridge-post inserts for improved bridge stability, and a "taller" tremolo arm with a nylon-sleeve insert to keep it from swinging loose.
Nitrocellulose lacquer is one of the great original-era Fender electric guitar finishes, and is still used today on select instruments. Thin, porous and delicate, it’s a premium finish prized for sonic qualities that let body woods breathe with their true tonal character, and for an appearance that ages and wears in a distinctive way appealing to many players.
In an especially authentic touch, the neck on this signature model has a comfortably broken-in custom profile (the shape of the neck in cross section) based directly on Marr’s 1965 Jaguar. In a slight departuire from vintage specification, this guitar has a 7.25”-radius rosewood fingerboard with 22 vintage-style frets.
- Body Material: Alder
- Body Finish: Gloss Urethane
- Body Shape: Jaguar®
- Neck Material: Maple
- Neck Finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Neck Shape: Custom Shape Based on Johnny's '65 Jaguar® Guitar
- Scale Length: 24"" (610 mm)
- Fingerboard Material: Rosewood
- Fingerboard Radius: 7.25"" (184.1 mm)
- Number of Frets: 22
- Fret Size: Vintage-Style
- Nut Material: Synthetic Bone
- Nut Width: 1.685"" (42 mm)
- Position Inlays: Ivory Dot
- Side Dots: White
- Truss Rod: Vintage-Style Butt Adjust
- Bridge Pickup: Custom-Wound Bare Knuckle® Johnny Marr
- Neck Pickup: Custom-Wound Bare Knuckle® Johnny Marr
- Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
- Switching: 4-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups (In Parallel), Position
- 3. Neck Pickup, Position 4. Neck and Bridge Pickups (In Series)
- Configuration: SS
- Auxillary Switching: 2 Slide-Switches: Universal Bright Switch; Bright Switch for Blade Position 4
- Bridge: Jaguar® Bridge with Mustang® Saddles and Vintage Style ""Floating"" Tremolo Tailpiece
- Hardware Finish: Nickel/Chrome
- Tuning Machines: 6-in-Line American Vintage
- Pickguard: 3-Ply Mint Green
- Control Knobs: Black Plastic
- Switch Tip: Chrome
- Neck Plate: 4-Bolt Vintage-Style
- Bridge Cover/Tailpiece: Includes Chrome Bridge Cover
- Case/Gig Bag: Hardshell Case
- Included Accessories: Vintage-style Cable
- Strings: Fender® USA 250R Nickel Plated Steel (.010-.046 Gauges), PN 0730250406
- Instrument Weight: 8.4 lbs