The AZ427P1 is another gorgeous double-humbucker Ibanez AZ, this time in a 7-string variation - we love that Ibanez is offering the wonderful AZ platform to extended range players as well! This one looks the part with a fierce Charcoal Black Burst that shows off the unique poplar burl top, adding a bit of aggressiveness to the overall look.
Aside from the harder-edged look of the aesthetics, the AZ42P1 follows in the footsteps of its other 24-fret AZ brethren. It features the incredible-sounding Seymour Duncan Hyperion 7 pickups, which can not only play anything from clean R&B to progressive rock and metal on their own, but pairs with the dyna-MIX switch for even more options, allowing you to approximate S-style, T-style, and other types of guitars pretty convincingly, which is truly incredible for a 7-string axe. The well-thought-out Ibanez design of the 7-string scale length and the roasted maple neck keep the low B string tight and punchy for low-register riffage.
It also has the Gotoh 510-based T1572S tremolo, which features amazing tuning stability and ease of maintenance. Add that to the AZ standard feature set of stainless steel frets, Gotoh MG-T thumbwheel locking tuners, and the Super All-Access Neck Joint offering unparalleled upper fret access, and you have an incredible guitar not just for the money, but period.
We think this may just be one of the best 7-string sledgehammers the Ibanez Premium line has to offer!
Rosewood provides a well-balanced solid tone with a focused mid range. The Gotoh® MG-T locking machine heads achieve incredible tuning stability, cutting down string-changing time. Heat-treatment of the AZ7 roasted maple neck increases the wood's stability, durability, water resistance and tolerance of temperature changes. The dyna-MIX 10 offers ten sound variations and can easily switch from humbucker and single coil modes with the mini switch. The Power Tap mode provides a realistic single coil sound despite its two humbucker pickup layout. Seymour Duncan® Hyperion™ 7 Pickups feature a moderate output through Alnico-5 magnets to keep the clarity of the fundamental tone when using a distortion sound, and to deliver a clear pick attack. From treble to bass, the overall tonal balance is evenly adjusted and works well with various effect pedals.
- Body: American Basswood
- Top: Poplar Burl
- Color: Charcoal Black Burst
- neck type: AZ7 Oval C - Roasted Maple neck
- fretboard: Rosewood fretboard - Mother of Pearl dot inlay
- fret: Jumbo Stainless Steel frets
- number of frets: 24
- Scale: 648mm/25.5"
- a: Width 47mm at NUT
- b: Width 66mm at 24F
- c: Thickness 20.5mm at 1F
- d: Thickness 22.5mm at 12F
- Radius: 305mmR
- nut: Graph Tech® nut
- bridge: Gotoh® T1572 bridge
- string space: 10.5mm
- Tuners: Gotoh MG-T Locking
- hardware color: Chrome
- neck pickup: Seymour Duncan® Hyperion™ 7 (H) neck pickup (Passive/Alnico)
- bridge pickup: Seymour Duncan® Hyperion™ 7 (H) bridge pickup (Passive/Alnico)
- Controls: Volume, Tone, 5-Way Switch, dyna-MIX10 Mini-Toggle
- factory tuning: 1E,2B,3G,4D,5A,6E,7B
- strings: D'Addario® XL110-7
- string gauge: .010/.013/.017/.026/.036/.046/.059
- Instrument Weight: 7.2 lbs