This processor uses peak clipping to tame unruly peaks, rather than the usual peak limiting, giving you another dynamics control option. Peak clipping is often a more transparent process than standard peak limiting, which is why mastering engineers often employ it. Despite its powerful engine, the Classic T-RackS Clipper is easy to use, with only: Gain, Slope, and Output controls.
On top of acting as a last stage dynamic control, another clever use of this processor is to generate harmonic saturation: when set for high gain and lower output the track will get a range of saturation which, according to the levels set can go from some mild harmonics to a very pronounced distortion. This can be a very handy tool to breathe some more life and presence in a cold and sterile track, giving it boldness and personality, or to achieve some very special creative distortion effects, where a track processes with the T-RackS clipper will sound completely different.
A good example of this can be a snare track, or bass track which may be weak or dynamically inconsistent: running them through the Clipper and raising the level will saturate them nicely making them more present and bold in the mix.
Be careful not to overdo it as too much distortion can be difficult to blend well in the soundscape of a mix.
Of course the clipping effect achieved with controls set according will prevent digital overs with a pleasing sound free of distortion.
Also included in
- T-RackS 5 SE
- T-RackS 5 v2
- T-RackS 5 MAX v2
- Total Studio 4 MAX
The Custom Shop
This audio processor module is part of T-RackS CS "Custom Shop" Mixing and Mastering Plug-In Collection. With T-RackS CS you can:
- install all of the available modules at once
- directly access Custom Shop online store from the module for immediate trial or purchase
- try out any processor for a full 14 day trial period
- purchase any module with credits (via Custom Shop) or currency (via Custom Shop or IK online store)
- Works within the T-RackS CS Standalone application and as plug-in
- High-quality oversampling
- High-precision and high-transparency digital processors
- Accurately analog-modeled vintage classic devices
- Full-latency compensation support
- Supports sampling rates up to 192 kHz
- DSM™ and SCC™ proprietary IK technologies for extremely accurate digital models of analog hardware devices
- Native compatibility with 64-bit applications and operating systems
T-RackS 5 is a 64-bit application and requires a 64 bit CPU and Operating System.
- Minimal: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo, 4 GB of RAM (8 GB suggested), macOS 10.10 or later.
- Supported Plug-in formats (64-bit): Audio Units, VST 2, VST 3, AAX.
- Minimal: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo or AMD Athlon™ 64 X2, 4 GB of RAM (8 GB suggested), Windows® 7, Windows® 8 or Windows® 10.
- Requires an ASIO compatible sound card.
- Supported Plug-in formats (64-bit): VST 2, VST 3, AAX.
NOTE: EQual processor requires an OpenGL 2 compatible graphics adapter.
Internet connection is required as all of the Custom Shop operations are web based.