For over 60 years, Moog theremins have captured the imagination of players and audiences alike. Most recently over the last two decades, Moog’s Etherwave Standard and Etherwave Plus have set the bar of performance theremin design. Now, the all-time highest selling theremin models get an update to become simply Etherwave Theremin.
With no reeds to blow, no keys to press, and no strings to pluck, the theremin defies all expectations of a musical instrument. It is instead played in a manner that seemingly conjures music from the ether, simply through the motion of the body when close to the instrument. Throughout history, performers have achieved unprecedented expression by mastering this unique connection between the hands, the body, the environment, and the instrument.
The theremin’s elegant simplicity and unparalleled expressivity fueled Bob Moog’s lifelong love affair with the instrument, from building his first theremin at age 14 and completing his final theremin design at age 70. Today, Etherwave Theremin carries on this legacy with a design that is refined for the modern theremin performer.
Combining analog playability with unprecedented performance potential, Moog’s Etherwave Theremin provides an accurate five-octave pitch range and balanced spacing between notes for a highly sophisticated degree of playability. Updated analog electronics have been used to create Bob Moog’s classic theremin circuit design while improving bass response in the lower registers.
The refined cabinet features hand-finished hardwood and two quickrelease plated-brass antennas. Additionally, rear-panel I/O connections and a detachable mic stand adapter ensure quick setup on the go. Easily accessible front-panel controls allow for spontaneous changes in timbre, and the antennas’ response can be adjusted to suit any player and their environment (advanced users can go a step further via the calibration access panel on top of the instrument). A front panel headphone output—with dedicated volume control—pairs with the addition of a Mute button that silences the main audio output, while leaving the headphone output active for privately adjusting timbre and tuning.
In addition, Etherwave Theremin can connect directly to—and control—your other modular, semi-modular, and Eurorack synthesizer systems via CV (Control Voltage). Control your synthesizers or effects while playing the theremin by patching into Etherwave Theremin’s 3.5mm Pitch CV, Volume CV, and Gate CV jacks for a completely new performance experience. For the novice enthusiast or the seasoned professional player, Etherwave Theremin offers exceptional sonics, playability, and control to take your sound into new dimensions.
- Musicians wanting a new creative tool
- Classical instrumentalists
- Theremin fans seeking classic aesthetics and a traditional theremin instrument
- Theremini owners looking for their next step
- Collectors who want to own the newest edition to the theremin story
- Synth enthusiast looking for a unique controller
- Musicians who want a powerful companion on stage
- Experimental musicians looking for an unusual and eye-catching new instrument
KEY SELLING POINTS:
- The Etherwave Theremin is an analog theremin using Bob Moog designed circuits for the classic theremin tone
- Features a wide playing range with improved bass response and stability
- CV control outputs for gestural control of Modular synths
- Monitoring flexibility achievable through multiple configurations of on-board headphone output, line output, and line output mute function
- Housed in a durable, lightweight and portable enclosure
- Internal antenna connections and mic stand adapter simplify set up
- The Etherwave Theremin is in production in Asheville and we are shipping initial orders.
- We are now accepting orders. Work with your Account Manager on distribution specifics and forecasting your orders.
- Where possible, we expect to ship embargoed product to our partners in advance of launch to ensure you can fulfill orders on launch day.
- Dealer content and landing pages for the Etherwave Theremin may go live at 14 April 2022 11:59AM EDT.
- A Marketing campaign deck will be made available on or before 5 April 2022.
- Product photos and full product description will be made available via our FTP site http://www.moogmusic.com/moogupload
- This product is under embargo until 14 April 2022, 11:59AM EDT, regardless of arrival date.
IN THE BOX
- Etherwave Theremin
- Detachable Pitch Antennae
- Detachable Volume Antennae
- Calibration Tool
- Power Supply
- Quickstart Guide
- User’s Manual
- Product Catalog
- Registration Card
- Sound Source: Analog Heterodyning Oscillator
- Sound Modifier: Analog VCA
- Pitch Antenna: Performance control of the frequency range, from approximately 0 Hz to 4.2 kHz, based on hand proximity
- Volume Antenna: Performance control of the dynamic range of over 70dB, based on hand proximity
- Mute Button: On: Audio Out muted; Phones Out active Off: All outputs active
- Switch Jack: 1/4" jack for momentary footswitch (not included) controls Mute function
- Power: LED indicator (front panel); Button (rear panel)
- Headphones: 1/4" output jack
- Audio Out: 1/4" Audio output jack
- CV Out: 3.5mm jacks for Volume CV Out, Pitch CV Out, Gate CV Out
- Power Supply: Style: wall adapter; barrel connection; center-pin positive
- Input: 100 - 240VAC; 50 Hz - 60 Hz
- Output: +12VDC; 2A