One of Rock history’s most iconic guitar tones is now available to all, in the form of a headphone guitar amp and accompanying speaker cab developed in collaboration between Vox and Brian May. With the amPlug Brian May guitar headphone amplifier, you can get the legendary guitarist’s classic tone anytime, anywhere – through any set of standard headphones. This special edition matching set was developed as a collaboration between Vox and Brian May, with an aesthetic nod to his iconic Red Special guitar.
In our mission to recreate the unique sound of Brian’s Red Special and cranked AC30 signal chain (and not to forget the sixpence), our aim was to make Brian’s instantly recognizable tone accessible to all. And with the amPlug’s AC30 + Treble Booster setting, guitarists now literally have “the Brian May tone in the palm of your hand”. But the amPlug Brian May goes further than delivering on tone.
Featuring a range of backing rhythms, including the “We Will Rock You” stomps and claps, you can jam along to classic tracks in your headphones. A “Brighton Rock” stereo delay setting, with tap tempo, allows you to get lost in a wall of AC30s, channeling Brian May’s call-and-response work on songs such as “Brighton Rock” and “Now I’m Here”. The amPlug’s phaser effect also allows you to recreate Brian’s swirling live sound – transporting you onto the Wembley stage, circa 1985, from the comfort of your own home. A rich chorus completes the trio of on-board effects, designed carefully to make Brian May’s iconic sounds available to all guitarists.
You can set the amPlug and accompanying speaker up as a mini half-stack, plugging in your guitar via a standard jack cable. Alternatively the amPlug can be used as a headphone amp, compatible with any set of standard headphones with a 3.5mm jack.
Using 2xAAA batteries, the amPlug Brian May has up to 15 hours of battery life (accompanying cab up to 12 hours with 9V battery) meaning you can play all night long.
This limited edition special collector’s amPlug Brian May set includes amPlug, matching cabinet, keychain, and postcards.
- Modeled on the classic Vox AC30 sound
- Treble booster setting for instant Brian May tone
- Three additional onboard effects (which can be used in conjunction with treble booster) – Stereo delay with tap tempo, phaser and chorus
- Built-in rhythm patterns to jam along to, including the original studio audio sample of the iconic “We will Rock You” handclaps
- Gain, tone and volume controls
- Visual design based on Brian May’s Red Special
- Headphone output (3.5mm jack) and auxiliary output (CTIA-compliant 3.5 mm TRRS mini phone jack)
- Foldable jack mechanism can be plugged into any guitar
- Input/output jacks: Phones jack (3.5 mm stereo mini phone jack)
AUX jack (CTIA-compliant 3.5 mm TRRS mini phone jack)
- Power supply: Two AAA batteries or AAA nickel-metal hydride batteries
- Battery life: 10 hours/16 hours (using alkaline batteries, when FX or RHYTHM is on/off);
3 hours/5 hours (using zinc-carbon batteries, when FX or RHYTHM is on/off)
- Dimensions (W × D × H): 87 × 33 × 39 mm (3.43′′ × 1.3′′ × 1.54′′), with plug folded down
- Weight: 40 g (1.41 oz.), not including batteries
- Included items: Two AAA batteries
Matching cabinet Specs
- Connections: Guitar In, amPlug In, Aux In, DC9V In
- Output: 2W speaker VOX original 3″ x 1
- Power supply: 9V battery (006P) or AC adapter (optional)
- Battery life: approx. 10 hours (9V alkaline battery), approx. 3 hours (9V zinc-carbon battery)
- Dimensions: 100 (W) x 63 (D) x 101 (H) mm / 4” (W) x 2.5” (D) x 4” (H)
- Weight: 260 g (excluding batteries) (9.2oz)
- Accessories: 9V manganese dry cell battery (006P)
- Accessory: AC adapter