Yamaha Montage8 88-Key Synthesizer Workstation (B-STOCK)
Music in Motion
Welcome to the new era in synthesizers from the company that brought you the industry-changing DX and the hugely popular Motif.
Building on the legacy of these two iconic keyboards, MONTAGE sets the next milestone for synthesizers, with sophisticated dynamic control, massive sound creation and streamlined workflow all combined in a powerful keyboard designed to inspire your creativity. Unlike other synthesizers, MONTAGE is platform-focused and constantly evolves with firmware updates. Past updates have added significant improvements to Sound, Control and Workflow.
Motion Control Synthesis Engine
Motion Control Synthesis Engine unifies and controls two iconic Sound Engines: AWM2 (high-quality waveform and subtractive synthesis) and FM-X (modern, pure Frequency Modulation synthesis.) These two engines can be freely zoned or layered across eight parts in a single MONTAGE Performance.
Interact with MONTAGE Performances using Motion Control: a highly programmable control matrix for creating deep, dynamic and incredibly expressive sound. With Motion Control, you can create new sounds not possible on previous hardware synthesizers.
1. Sophisticated Dynamic Control
Music is expression. MONTAGE adds a new level of expression with the Motion Control Synthesis Engine. This engine allows a variety of methods to interact with and channel your creativity into finding your own unique sound.
Create dynamic sound changes from radical to sublime with the Super Knob. The Super Knob can control multiple parameters simultaneously resulting in anything you can imagine.
For example: change your listening position from right in front of an instrument to in the back seat of a concert hall. Or radically change the character of a Performance from atmospheric and mellow to rhythmic and edgy.
The Super Knob can even be assigned to a second FC7 foot controller making it easy to manipulate the sound when playing with both hands.
Motion Sequences are tempo-synchronized, completely customizable control sequences that can be assigned to virtually any synthesizer parameter and provide incredible creative new ways of programming sound.
Motion Sequences also have dedicated controls on the front panel making it easy to manipulate and change in real-time, providing incredible interactivity and expression.
The Envelope Follower converts audio into a control source for control of virtually any synthesizer parameter. For example, a drum loop could drive effects parameters for a cool rhythms or a vocal recording could control multiple parameters for a “talking” synthesizer. The audio can even be a “live” source through the A/D input.
2. Massive Sound Creation
MONTAGE features two Iconic Sound Engines modernized for amazing sound playback and complex sound design.
Powered by proprietary Yamaha technology for data compression and sound playback, AWM2 allows tremendous data compression without sound quality loss for unparalleled, realistic sound reproduction.
- 128-Note, Stereo polyphony Experience rich stereo sound without halving the available number of notes.
- Waveform Capacity MONTAGE features nearly 10 times the waveform capacity of the MOTIF XF, allowing more samples per instrument for incredibly realistic and nuanced sound.
- Integrated Flash Memory MONTAGE includes 1.75 GB of user flash memory with high speed reading/writing for your own custom samples or synth libraries from yamahasynth.com.
An amazingly sophisticated pure synthesizer engine capable of producing classic ‘80s or cutting-edge EDM sound with incredible dynamic range, power and fidelity. MONTAGE features an 8-operator FM architecture and 128-note polyphony, allowing for a massive array of sound design options.
Every instrument needs great content to inspire your creativity. MONTAGE features a huge range of incredible sounds like a brand-new Yamaha CFX Premium Grand Piano, detailed new strings and woodwinds and select content from the DX and TX family, all modernized to take advantage of the Motion Control Synthesis Engine.
- Compatibility MONTAGE is directly compatible with Motif XF Voices. Yamaha is developing an FM converter to make it compatible with DX7 series Voices as well.
- Bösendorfer Piano
As part of the MONTAGE introduction, Yamaha is pleased to offer an incredible Bösendorfer Imperial Premium Grand Piano.
From high definition reverbs to incredibly detailed Virtual Circuit Modeling (VCM) effects, MONTAGE is loaded with DSP innovation, power and, most importantly, sound quality. Use effects like Beat Repeat, Vinyl Break or Bit Crusher to get a modern EDM sound. You can even add a compressor with sidechain for a modern “ducking” effect. Or go retro with vintage effects like Analog Delay, VCM Phaser or a variety of Amp Simulators. Piano players will appreciate piano-focused effects like Damper Resonance for a super-realistic piano experience and the HD reverbs that let you put yourself in any performance space.
Pure Analog Circuit
MONTAGE features professional balanced outputs with “Pure Analog Circuit” (PAC). PAC improves the quality of signal after being converted to analog from digital for clear harmonic reproduction and even frequency response. The result is an output capable of reproducing MONTAGE’s internal content expressively with power and clarity.
3. Streamlined Workflow
How do you want to integrate your instrument with your system? How do you want to organize the onboard content? How do you want to interact with the instrument while you play? MONTAGE answers these questions and more with a flexible, streamlined workflow.
USB Audio/MIDI Connection
Connect MONTAGE to your computer with a single USB cable and capture every nuance of your creativity into your DAW. MONTAGE’s powerful USB driver can send 16 and receive 3 channels of STEREO 24 bit/44.1 kHz digital audio to/from your computer or iOS device (MONTAGE is class compliant, no driver needed!), no other hardware required!
The USB connection also features full MIDI support of 16 channels.
* MONTAGE supports the sampling rate up to 192 kHz.
SSS (Seamless Sound Switching)
Seamless Sound Switching (SSS) lets you change performances seamlessly without any cut-off in envelope or effects. This is perfect for live performances where you end one song and start another without stopping.
* This function is only available for Performances that have a maximum of 8 parts.
The A/D input processes external audio sources with your instrument’s DSP. Use mics, guitars or any line source as an input and process with the internal effects. You can even use these sources with the Envelope Follower or Sidechain for a truly unique sound.
- Touch Screen
- Eight Rotary Encoders and Faders with Stepladder LED
MONTAGE features a comprehensive set of physical controls for intuitive music making and sound creation.
- Touch Screen Select and change parameters directly with the new color touch screen.
- Eight Rotary Encoders and Faders with Stepladder LED Stepladder LEDs next to the faders indicate position making it easy to see where your current mix position is.
Keyboard Action MONTAGE is available in three different configurations:
- MONTAGE6 and 7 feature the premium FSX semi-weighted synthesizer action with aftertouch in 61 and 76 keys respectively.
- MONTAGE8 features an 88 key, fully-weighted Balanced Hammer action with aftertouch. This provides equal resistance for each key across the keyboard and is perfect for playing a variety of instruments from acoustic piano to electric piano, synth sounds, organ and more!
Live Set lets you organize your Performances however you want without copying, changing order or renaming. When a Performance is selected, you can easily register it to a Live Set. This is perfect for playing gigs or even creating your own organization scheme for Performances.
Direct Control Assignment
Direct Control Assignment assigns controls at the touch of a button. Simply select a parameter, hit the Direct Control Assignment button and move the controller to control that parameter. It’s easy!
Cubase AI bundle
MONTAGE is bundled with Cubase AI, Steinberg's professional music production application that offers integrated recording and editing.
- Width: 1,450mm (57-1/16")
- Height: 170mm (6-11/16")
- Depth: 460mm (18-1/8")
- Weight: 29 kg (63 lbs., 15 oz.)
- Number of Keys: 88
- Type: Balanced Hammer Effect Keyboard
- Initial Touch: Yes
- Aftertouch: Yes
- Tone Generator: Motion Control Synthesis Engine AMW2: 8 Elements FM-X: 8 Operators, 88 Algorithms
- Maximum Polyphony: AWM2: 128 (max.; stereo/mono waveforms) FM-X: 128 (max.)
- Multi Timbral Capacity: 16 Parts (internal), Audio Input Parts (A/D*, USB*) *stereo Part
- Wave: Preset: 5.67 GB (when converted to 16 bit linear format), User: 1.75 GB
- Performance: Approx. 1,900
- Filter: 18 types
- Effects: Reverb x 12 types, Variation x 76 types, Insertion (A, B) x 76 types*, Master Effect x 15 types *A/D part insertion x 71 types (Preset settings for parameters of each effect type are provided as templates) Master EQ (5 bands), 1st part EQ (3 bands), 2nd part EQ (2 bands)
- Controllers: Master Volume, AD Input Gain knob, Pitch Bend wheel, Modulation wheel, Ribbon Controller, Control Sliders x 8, Knobs x 8, Super Knob, Data dial
- Display: 7" TFT Color Wide VGA LCD touch screen
- Connectors: [USB TO DEVICE], [USB TO HOST], MIDI [IN]/[OUT]/[THRU], FOOT CONTROLLER /, FOOT SWITCH [ASSIGNABLE]/[SUSTAIN], OUTPUT (BALANCED) [L/MONO]/[R] (6.3 mm, Balanced TRS jacks), ASSIGNABLE OUTPUT (BALANCED) [L]/[R] (6.3 mm, Balanced TRS jacks), [PHONES] (6.3 mm, standard stereo phone jack), A/D INPUT [L/MONO]/[R] (6.3 mm, standard phone jacks)
- Power Consumption: 27 W
- Accessories: AC Power cord, Owner’s Manual, Cubase AI Download Information
- Live Sets: Preset: 128 and more, User: 2,048
- Tracks: 16 Sequence tracks, Tempo track, Scene track
- Recording type: Real time replace, Real time overdub, Real time punch in/out
- Note Capacity: Approx. 130,000 notes
- Note Resolution: 480 ppq (parts per quarter note)
- Tempo (BPM): 5 – 300
- Songs: 64 songs
- Arpeggio: Parts: 8 Parts simultaneous (max.), Preset: Approx. 10,000 types User: 256 types
- Sequence formats: MONTAGE original format, SMF formats 0, 1