“Marshmallow?” That’s a silly name for a pedal, we know.
But it totally fits. Sweet, fun, and probably best consumed in small doses, our Marshmallow makes weird gooey sounds with your favorite instruments.
At its heart, Marshmallow is a pair of pitch shifters that we combine and modulate in interesting ways with a variety of magic tricks. Want smooth chorus? No problem. How about juicy organ tones? Yup. Maybe you want your stuff to sound like a cat on helium? Yes, we do that too.
Basically, Marshmallow is a quick way to start at normal and end up at “what was that?!” We hope you like it as much as we do.
Marshmallow features six effect modes, all of which are adjustable to play from 44.1kHz down to 1.6kHz bandwidth using the CLOCK knob.
High clock rates yield impressive fidelity and great sound quality. Low clock rates introduce artifacts, noise, and weirdness. You have been warned.
MOD: Dual pitch shift with adjustable pitch modulation. VOICE and TWO control the pitch shift intervals, MOD and ALT control the depth and rate of the modulation.
ARPY: Tweakable arpeggiator effect. VOICE, TWO, and MOD control the intervals of the arpeggio, and ALT controls the speed and direction of the arpeggiator. Set ALT near the middle for slower speeds, or towards either end for faster ones.
RAND: Dual pitch shift with random modulation. VOICE and TWO control the pitch shift intervals, MOD controls the amount of modulation from the randomizer, and ALT controls the amount of modulation signal fed to each pitch shift voice.
RING: Dual pitch shift with automatic panning between the two signals. VOICE and TWO control the pitch shift intervals, MOD controls the speed of modulation from a very slow tremolo to a very horrible ring modulation, and ALT controls the balance between the two pitch shifted signals.
DYNA: Dynamic pitch shifter. VOICE and TWO select the “quiet” and “loud” pitch shift intervals, MOD sets the sensitivity of the envelope detector. Play quietly to hear the VOICE pitch and play louder to hear the TWO pitch. Set ALT counter-clockwise to shift seamlessly between the two pitches, or clockwise to bend from one to the other.
CLOUD: Dual pitch shift with adjustable feedback, for reverb-like washes and echoes. VOICE and TWO control the pitch shift intervals, MOD controls the feedback / texture, and ALT controls the balance between the two pitch shifted signals.
A lot of pitch shifting pedals on the market allow you to set the intervals over a wide range, but trying to find the right pitch can be tricky. That’s why we’ve added our exclusive Pitch Lock function to Marshmallow. Hold the center button and the Ramp footswitch to cycle between the available Tune Lock settings:
- PITCH LOCK OFF (alt LED is violet) - Pitch sweeps smoothly from -1 octave to +1 octave. Non-chromatic pitches are possible including slight detuning effects.
- PITCH LOCK CHROMATIC (alt LED is yellow) - Pitch locks to chromatic intervals from -1 octave to +1 octave. Every half-step is available from -12 to +12.
- PITCH LOCK MAJOR (alt LED is cyan) - Pitch locks to a major scale from -1 octave to +1 octave.
- PITCH LOCK MINOR (alt LED is green) - Pitch locks to a minor scale from -1 octave to +1 octave.
Four built-in presets give you quadruple the tones in a single footprint. Add a MIDI controller for 16 presets.
Seamlessly morph between different knob settings on the fly using the Option footswitch, expression pedal, Neo Footswitch, or MIDI controller.
Connect an expression pedal, Neo Footswitch, or MIDI controller to this jack to add performance control to your pedal.
Tap the left footswitch to trigger and latch Neo Morph, or hold it for a momentary Morph effect.
Quantizes the pitch shift effects to one of several scales, or disable for “in-between” pitches. Includes chromatic, major, and minor scales. Pitch Lock is saved per-preset.
Adjusts the operating frequency of the DSP in real-time. Turn this up for pristine clean pitch shifting, down for glitched-out garbage.
Every knob and setting on the pedal is controllable using MIDI. Connect using the MultiJack and our Neo Link or directly to any Disaster Area Gen3 controller.
Tap this button to select a new sound mode. Hold it down to access the alternate knob functions (listed in parentheses).
Every Neo Series pedal features a USB port for MIDI control and firmware updates.
- Mono input
- Dual output (mix signal on tip, dry signal on ring)
- Input Impedance: 1M ohms
- Output Impedance: 560 ohms
- DC 9V only, 100mA or greater
- Requires isolated DC power supply
- 4.7” x 2.6” x 1.5” H x W x D not including knobs
- Six effects modes
- Four presets, expandable to 16 with a MIDI controller
- MultiJack enables expression pedal, foot switch, or MIDI input
- Neo Morph allows controlling all knobs from expression or MIDI
- Ramp footswitch triggers Neo Morph settings
- Tune Lock feature quantizes pitch shifts to one of several scales
- USB port for firmware updates and USB MIDI
- User-selectable dry path - analog or DSP