256 Voices of V.A.S.T. Polyphony!
More polyphony from our acclaimed V.A.S.T. engine than any product in Kurzweil history!
2 Gigabytes of Factory Sounds!
Over 1000 hand-selected factory presets organized into 13 categories of Programs and featuring our optimized German 9 ft. and vintage Japanese 7 ft. concert grand pianos (with “KSR” – Kurzweil String Resonance). Also included are a wide selection of tailored sounds from the acclaimed Forte® (EP, Clav, Celeste, Crotales, Harpsichord), as well as PC3 Series and KORE 64™ expansions – all handcrafted to deliver unprecedented expressiveness with an obsessive attention to detail.
Patented FlashPlay® Technology
Flash-Play® provides the PC4 with a staggering amount of horse-power; 2 GB sample content with zero-loading time, and ultrafast performance.
2 Gigabytes User Sample Memory
Load up to 2 GB of your own custom samples into non-volatile flash memory. Supported sample formats: .WAV, .AIF (up to 16 bit / 96kHz) and Kurzweil formats (.P3K, .KRZ, .K25, .K26).
Deep native editing? Look no further. The PC4 grants full access to Kurzweil’s legendary Variable Architecture Synthesis Technology directly from the front panel. With 32-layers per program, each offering its own signal path and a host of modular DSP tools, the PC4 offers a wealth of sound creation and modification that is truly immense.
6-Operator FM Engine
6 Operator FM Engine with the ability to load original FM SysEx files.
Add sonic animation to your sounds via 16 simultaneous MIDI CC Step Sequencers for modulation sequencing.
KB3 ToneReal™ Organs
Modeled after classic organs. A full compliment of tonewheel controls are immediately accessible including 9 realistic drawbars, rotary speed, chorus/vibrato, brake, percussion and more.
Powerful FX Engine
Award-winning Reverbs, Delays, Choruses, Flangers, Phasers, Distortions, Rotary Amplifiers, Compressors and more – all fully editable from the user-interface. The PC4 also offers a global Master FX section featuring 3-band EQ and Compression.
K.S.R. – Kurzweil String Resonance
Piano string resonance modeling for enhanced acoustic piano performance!
88-Note Hammer-Action Keyboard
Every sound within the PC4 is perfectly matched to its 88-note fully-weighted hammer-action keyboard with aftertouch.
16-Zone Multi Controller Mode
Construct massive sonic combinations via Kurzweil’s renowned Multi mode (aka Setup mode) offering 16 zones of unparalleled MIDI controller capabilities.
The PC4 features a 16-track internal sequencer to record/edit/mix/produce your own tracks – all in the box. Import MIDI (.mid) files as well as Kurzweil PC3-family songs.
16 Simultaneous RIFF Generators
Trigger and manipulate up to 16 simultaneous MIDI sequences on the fly. Select from an internal library of patterns or record/import your own!
16 Simultaneous Note Arpeggiators
Looking for a pulse? Activate up to 16 independent Arps (1 per program, 16 per Multi) and discover the new ‘Step Sequencer’ environment!
Live Audio Input w/ FX
Plug in and jam along with your favorite music player via 1/4″ pair and/or 1/8″ (3.5mm) audio input. The input bus sports its own dedicated real-time FX. Sweeten your backing tracks for live performance and internally mix the signal with the PC4’s own output.
Front Panel Master Transport Controls
Use the buttons in the TRANSPORT section to control recording and playback of the on-board 16-track sequencer.
36 Programmable Physical Controllers
9 Sliders, 9 Knobs, 10 Switches, 2 Wheels, 2 Switch Pedal* Inputs (which support half-damper for pianos), 2 Continuous Control Pedal Inputs, Aftertouch and Ribbon controller input**.
*1 sustain/switch pedal is included; half-damper pedal sold separately
**ribbon controller sold separately.
Easy Access Transpose Controls
Dedicated -/+ transpose controls conveniently located right above the LED backlit pitch/modulation wheels (LED lights can be disabled).
Widescreen Color Display
Navigate the PC4 with a 4.3” 480×272 widescreen color LCD display.
Categorized Sound Selection
Easy Category and Program/Multi selection featuring customizable category defaults.
- Keyboard: RPHA: Real Piano Hammer Action / 88-note, fully-weighted hammer-action with velocity and aftertouch sensitive adjustable keys
- Display: 480 x 272 pixel high resolution color LCD with adjustable brightness
- Polyphony: 256 Voice Polyphony, dynamically allocated
- Multitimbral: 16 parts (one per MIDI channel)
- Dynamic VAST: Powerful synthesis engine, with user programmable DSP algs and routing.
- 6-Operator FM Engine
- VA1 Inside: anti-aliasing, power-shaped oscillators and DSP processing from Kurzweil’s VA1 concept synth, capable of delivering authentic analog emulations
- as well as incredibly complex new sounds.
- Cascade Mode: lets the user route one layer through the DSP of any other layer within a program – up to 32 consecutive layers deep!
- Sample Flash Memory: 2 GB of re-loadable, non-volatile, user flash memory
- Factory Programs: 1000+
- User Programs: 4096
- Factory Multis: 50+ – featuring up to 16 independent zones
- User Multis: 4096
- General MIDI: No
- Kurzweil String Resonance: Yes
- Master EQ/Compressor: Yes
- Over 1000 complex effect chains, incorporated into programs featuring our award winning effects – reverbs, delays, chorus, flange, phaser, EQs, distortions, rotary speaker simulators, compressors, and more
- 32 total FX units
- 1 pitch wheel
- 1 modulation wheel
- 9 front panel sliders
- 9 Knobs
- 9 switches (assignable/zone mutes/KB3 control)
- 1 variation switch
- Tempo Controls w/ tap tempo
- 2 transpose switches
- Arp Controls
- Transport Controls
- 2 switch pedal inputs each supporting single switch pedal or single half damper pedal (1 switch/sustain pedal is included; half-damper pedals sold separately)
- 2 continuous control pedal inputs
- monopressure (aftertouch)
- Ribbon input (ribbon controller sold separately)
- Sequencer: 16 Tracks; 960 PPQ resolution. Song editing functions include both event and track-based tools like quantize, swing, remap, controller scaling and more.
- MIDI CC Step Sequencers: 16 simultaneous
- RIFFs: 16-per Multi
- Arpeggiators: 1-per Program, 16-per Multi
- Analog Outputs:
- Four (2 pairs) 1/4″ balanced TRS analog (32-bit DACs)
- Automatic mono switching on main outs
- +21dBu maximum output
- 50Ω balanced source impedance
- Audio Inputs:
- Two 1/4″ inputs
- One stereo 1/8″ input (each with FX) for connecting your favorite MP3 player or other audio source for accompaniment playback
- 1 back panel 1/4″ headphone output
- 130mW into 32 ohm headphones
- MIDI: In, Out
- Two USB ports (one A port / one B port)
- Complete MIDI functionality over USB
- User program/multi file backup via USB drive
- Operating System updates via USB drive
- Software Editors: External editors for Mac OS X, Windows PC and iOS devices
- FREE OS Updates: OS updates via USB drive
- Included Accessories: Power cable, Switch pedal, USB cable
- Height: 6.5″ (16.51 cm)
- Depth: 14.75″ (37.46 cm)
- Length: 51.25″ (130.18 cm)
- Weight: 28.7 lb (13.01 kg)
- Power: External 15VDC 2.5A Power Supply