Neumann KMS 105 BK Studio Grade Stage Mic, Supercardioid Condenser, Black
Studio grade stage microphone for vocalists. Supercardioid pickup pattern.
The KMS 105 is a studio grade vocal microphone for stage use. Its precision manufactured condenser capsule offers true Neumann sound quality, combined with all the virtues of a rugged stage microphone: excellent pop protection, low handling noise, enormous SPL capability, and high feedback resistance, thanks to its tight supercardioid pattern.
Studio Quality for Stage Vocals
The KMS 105 brings studio sound quality to the stage. Unlike usual stage microphones, which use dynamic capsules, the KMS 105 is equipped with a true condenser microphone capsule offering the superior clarity that made Neumann studio microphones famous all over the world. At the same time, the KMS 105 possesses the ruggedness required of a stage mic, thus refuting the myth that condenser microphones must be “fragile”. The KMS 105 can stand enormous sound pressure levels of up to 150 dB without clipping, and its tight, frequency-independent supercardioid pattern ensures high gain before feedback. The KMS 105 has a much smoother frequency response than dynamic microphones and an airy top-end. Compared to dynamic microphones, the Neumann KMS 105 has a vastly superior transient response resulting in a more immediate, more emotional vocal sound. In practical terms: effortless intelligibility, without the usual EQ boosts – which further improves feedback resistance.
As a stage microphone, the KMS 105 is optimized for close miking; a fixed low cut filter compensates for the proximity effect and ensures clear bass, even if the singer’s lips touch the microphone. The headgrille is made of hardened steel and features a carefully designed multi-level pop filter made of wire gauze. Despite its effectiveness, this acoustic filter does not cause any sibilance problems or compromise the capsule’s directivity. The head amplifier is protected by a thick-walled housing. Its transformerless output minimizes electromagnetic interference, such as hum. Because of its low output impedance of only 50 ohms, the KMS 105 can drive very long cable runs of up to 300 m (1000 ft) without transmission losses.
- Acoustical operating: principle Pressure gradient transducer
- Directional Pattern: Supercardioid
- Frequency Range: 20 Hz ... 20 kHz
- Sensitivity at 1 kHz into 1 kohm: 4.5 mV/Pa ± 1 dB equ. -47 dBV
- Rated Impedance: 50 ohms
- Rated load impedance: 1 kohms
- Equivalent noise level, CCIR: 28 dB
- Equivalent noise level, A-weighted: 18 dB-A
- Maximum SPL for THD 0.5%: 150 dB
- Signal-to-noise ratio, CCIR (re. 94 dB SPL): 66 dB
- Signal-to-noise ratio, A-weighted (re. 94 dB SPL): 76 dB
- Maximum output voltage: 12 dBu
- Supply voltage (P48, IEC 61938): 48 V ± 4 V
- Current consumption (P48, IEC 61938): 3.5 mA
- Matching connector: XLR 3 F
- Weight: approx. 300 g
- Diameter: 48 mm
- Length: 180 mm