Novation's flagship two-part 16-voice 61-key polyphonic synthesiser
Summit’s digital New Oxford Oscillators offer subtractive, FM and wavetable synthesis, and feed into genuine analogue dual filters, distortion and VCAs. The multitimbral engine enables merging and combining of two complete and independent patches, while up to 16 simultaneous voices deliver enough harmonic depth for even the richest of pads.
The best sounding synthesiser Novation has ever made
Summit doubles the power of Peak’s digital New Oxford Oscillators up to 16 voices and two parts, and adds a wealth of new features and a premium-quality five-octave keyboard. A synth much greater than the sum of its parts, it gives the serious producer or performer everything they need to design and play stunning basses, leads, arps, pads, effects and beyond.
Totally tactile sound design
Summit takes Peak’s architecture and workflow to new heights, with a swathe of extra front panel controls for hands-on wrangling of FM, effects, LFOs and more; dual filters with six LP/HP/BP combinations; audio input for processing external sources with the onboard effects; and auxiliary audio outputs.
Analogue where it matters
The true stereo analogue signal path comprises dual analogue multimode filters, analogue VCAs and three stages of analogue distortion – pre- and post-filter, and post-VCA. With roots in the legendary OSCar, via Bass Station II, Summit’s analogue credentials are truly impressive.
The Wavetable Editor unleashes the power of the wavetable oscillators. It features drawing tools and a Live Edit mode, so you can draw your own oscillator shapes and preview them in real time. Audio import lets you load in your own audio to be used as the oscillator waveform. Included is a curated selection of space-themed audio from the NASA sound library, plus exclusive content from production giants Noisia.
Two Peaks in one synth - and then some
The 16-voice, multitimbral engine combines two simultaneous patches. Split or stack them for keyboard-divided or layered sounds, or switch the entire synth between two separate and independently controlled setups, perhaps using one as an effects processor for an external input source.
Summit can also use all your Peak patches.
Our best keyboard ever
Five-octave, semi-weighted, velocity-sensitive keyboard with aftertouch – the same premium-quality keybed as introduced with our SL MkIII controller keyboard.
New Oxford educated
Digital New Oxford Oscillators are capable of subtractive, FM and wavetable synthesis. Waveforms are generated directly on the FPGA (Field Programmable Gate Array) chip, using 24MHz bitstream processing; and adjustable drift and divergence emulate the inherent and often desirable instability of analogue circuits.
True analogue filters and distortion
The New Oxford Oscillators output to true analogue filters, with origins in the classic OSCar synth, and three stages of analogue distortion give you ample saturation options.
Summit’s dual filter is switchable between six paired combinations of low-pass, high-pass and band-pass modes at 12dB/octave, or any single mode at 24dB/octave, for a broad range of sonic possibilities.
Hands-on sound design
Packed with modulation sources for deep sound design – LFOs, envelopes, Animate buttons and more. Extended controls see FM parameters, envelope loop switches and LFOs 3/4 moved from Peak’s menu system to the front panel, for easy programming and tweaking.
Audio in and auxiliary audio out
Hook up external instruments for processing with Summit’s onboard effects, while using it as a synth at the same time.
Onboard reverb, chorus and delay effects are hosted on the FPGA. They’re also controlled directly from the front panel, and available as modulation targets in the dedicated FX Mod Matrix.
Peak Firmware Update v2.0 -Product Information Pack
In Novation’s biggest update for Peak, firmware update v2.0 brings in essential improvements and a multitude of features across stereo controls, modulation, unpredictability, and effects, that give you powerful tools to shape your sound.
New spread modes, panning per voice, and panning in the mod matrix give additional control and allows for sound design in the stereo field. Now you can create bigger, wider, and more intricately textured soundscapes.
Modulation and unpredictability
Create deeper and more experimental sounds with new mod destinations, noise as a mod source, and additional LFO 3 and 4 parameters. Animate Envelopes and Arpeggiator Chance open more creative performance possibilities.
New effects, including Chorus Modes, Flanger, and Phlanger add new tonalities. Additional effects modulation destinations open up more experimental sound design. A new Lo-Fi delay mode enables a more vintage style sound.
The firmware update v2.0 includes a number of bug fixes. The full details can be found in the release notes.
Summit and Peak firmware v2.0 is the last addition to the legacy of Chris Huggett’s innovative synth design work with Novation. Having shaped the sound of Novation’s iconic synths –including Bass Station, Supernova, Bass Station II, Peak and Summit, Chris has left an indelible imprint on Novation’sheritage, and we will always be grateful for his influence and inspiration.
- 16 note polyphony (dependent on voices used per note)
- Layered, Split, Dual Bi-Timbral Modes
- 5 Voice Modes - Mono, MonoLG, Mono2, Poly, Poly2
- 3 oscillators
- 1 noise generator with HP filter control
- 1 ring modulator
- 2 LFOs
- 1 amp envelope and 2 mod envelopes (ADHSR + looping)
- 1 filter
- Sine, tri, sawtooth, square / pulse, plus 43 wavetables of 5 waveforms per row
- 1 state variable OTA filter per voice
- 12/24dB slope
- Low-pass / band-pass / high-pass / dual filter (separation of each 12dB filters)
- dual filter: LP > HP, LP > BP, HP > BP, LP + HP, LP + BP, HP + BP, LP + LP, BP + BP, and HP + HP
- Pre-filter overdrive
- Post-filter distortion
- 16 modulation slots per patch
- 2 sources per destination per slot
- Direct (depth)
- Modulation wheel
- Aftertouch (polyphonic and channel AT)
- Expression pedal 1
- Expression pedal 2
- Keyboard velocity
- LFO1 positive
- LFO1 bi-polar
- LFO2 positive
- LFO2 bi-polar
- Amp envelope
- Mod envelope 1
- Mod envelope 2
- Animate 1
- Animate 2
- CV mod input bi-polar
- Bend Up
- Bend Down
- Oscillator 1-3 frequency, v-sync level, shape amount and level
- Noise source level
- Ring modulator output level
- Overall synth output level
- Filter drive, distortion, cut-off frequency and resonance
- LFO 1 and 2 frequency
- Amp env / mod env 1 / mod env 2 attack, decay and release
- FM Osc 1 -> osc 2, osc 2 -> osc 3, osc 3 -> osc 1 and noise -> osc 1
- Osc 3 -> filter cutoff frequency
Noise -> filter cutoff frequency
- FX are per part
- Analogue distortion
- 3 chorus types
- Delay with 16 types of delay sync, LP and HP damping, slew and stereo
FX Mod Matrix Source
- Direct (depth)
- Mod wheel
- Expression pedal 1
- Expression/breath pedal 2
- LFO 1 +/-
- LFO 2 +/-
- LFO 3 +/-
- LFO 4 +/-
- Amp envelope
- Mod envelope 1 & 2
- Animate 1 & 2
- CV +/-
- Bendwheel +/-
- Bend up
- Bend down
FX Mod Matrix Destinations
- Distortion level
- Chorus level
- Chorus rate
- Chorus depth
- Chorus feedback
- Delay level
- Delay time
- Delay feedback
- Reverb level
- Reverb time
- Reverb low pass
- Reverb high pass
- FM controls on front panel
- Global LFO 3 & 4
- Arpeggiator with key latch – 33 patterns
- Patch storage - up to 512 on hardware (ships with 256 factory patches)
- All knobs (excl. volume), sliders and most buttons transmit and receive MIDI cc commands for external control and mapping
- Microtuning with Scala table import and table tuning creation
- Manual mode
- Multi pot mode: Relative, Pot pick-up, Snap
Product Hardware Specifications
- 50 control knobs
- 8 45mm sliders
- 1 volume knob
- 1 data encoder knob
- Rubberised knob caps with spun metal discs
- 55 function buttons
- 2 Animate buttons plus hold button
- OLED display
- Kensington Lock
- Power switch
- IEC power supply connector
- USB socket for system (MIDI comms only, no bus power)
- MIDI In / Out / Thru
- 2 1/4" jack sockets for continuous or switched pedals
- 1 3.5mm jack socket for CV in
- 2 1/4" jack sockets for left and right outputs
- 2 1/4" jack sockets for left and right auxiliary outputs
- 2 1/4" jack sockets for left and right inputs
- 1/4" jack socket for headphone output
- Metal chassis with American walnut wooden end cheeks
- Ableton Live Lite is included
- Summit is a USB-MIDI class compliant device
- Maximum power consumption 1A