61-note mobile synth with great sounds and hands-on operation for ambitious bands
Life moves fast as an upcoming musician or ambitious new band. When you’re racing between rehearsals, sessions and shows, you don’t have time to spend with a bulky, complex synth that’s difficult to use. The Roland JUNO-DS61 is the ultra-portable modern synth that can keep up with your band life. Lightweight, compact and powerful, this 61-note instrument is always ready to go, with easy operation and instant access to pro onboard sounds that let you create or perform music anywhere from street to studio. The JUNO-DS61 is the easiest way to start playing a keyboard with the band, with the flexibility to continue supporting you as your music progresses.
Travel like a guitarist
If you want your band to get noticed, you need to get out there. Whatever you’ve got in the diary, the JUNO-DS61’s compact size and 5.3kg weight means it’s easy to transport, load in and set up, so you’ll never have to turn down a career-making gig across town, miss a vital band rehearsal or arrive late to a recording session. With optional battery operation for street performance, and a mic input that lets you create pro vocals without external gear, the JUNO-DS61 is ready for every scenario the music industry can throw at you.
Find the right sound instantly from a choice of pro onboard sounds
It’s frustrating when the band adds a new song to the set and you can’t find the right sound in your synth. The JUNO-DS61 has the pro onboard sounds to keep you covered, whatever genre comes up next. Instantly choose your favorite pro-quality sounds from nine categories, and with over 1,000 sounds including acoustic and electric pianos, organs, and synth, there’s enough choice to cover any musical genre or performance style. And the patches from the previous-generation JUNO-Di synth are fully compatible too. Just think of a sound – and it’s right there at your fingertips.
Create your signature sound with ease instantly
Some synths make you stick with the factory settings, which can leave your music sounding a little generic – but the JUNO-DS61 is wide open. The instant-access design lets you call up pro sounds in seconds. But even if this is your first synth, it’s simple to dig into an array of adjustable parameters and create your own voice. Select the performance mode and you can set up advanced sounds like layering strings onto the acoustic piano, or assigning organ and bass to your right and left hands respectively. Create and tweak patches. Shape sounds during a song with hands-on controls. Connect expression pedals via the rear panel to take your performance to the next level.
Keep your music up-to-date with free downloadable sounds
As your band gets adventurous and your playing evolves, it’s vital to play a synth that won’t get left behind. The JUNO-DS61’s onboard sounds and editing capabilities are just the beginning. This modern instrument also supports internal waveform expansion via USB, bringing the best synth sounds from the web into your performance. It’s easy to get started, with the versatile EXP-06 Studio Collection preloaded in the wave expansion slot. Then choose your favorites from over 1000 EXP patches available for free download at Roland’s Axial website. You’ll find top-quality acoustic piano collections, world instruments, go-to studio standards, percussion, loops – and it’s even possible to load in WAV files from your own sound library and play them from the keyboard. And the free JUNO-DS librarian software lets you manage all these sound patches using your computer.
Enjoy solo jam sessions with realistic-sounding drums, guitar and bass backing
Just because your bandmates aren’t available to rehearse, that doesn’t stop you honing your skills with a jam session. Using the JUNO-DS61’s eight Phrase Pads, you can add instant beats under your keyboard parts, or copy audio data (MP3/WAV) to the USB memory and play along with full-band backing. When your shows need more dynamics, the Phrase Pads also function as a live sampler: load them up with anything from sound effects to loops – then trigger them with a quick touch during the gig.
Eight-track pattern sequencer takes you from spark to finished song
When songwriting inspiration strikes, you need to catch it fast – and complicated gear can kill the moment. The JUNO-DS61 is the songwriter’s best friend. When you have an idea for a song or beat, you can easily capture and develop it with the onboard pattern sequencer. The intuitive, non-stop operation won’t interrupt your creative flow, letting you build up full arrangements with multiple sounds in a flash. It’s a great tool for live work, too, letting you enhance performances with pre-made backing music and on-the-fly looping.
Stand out from the crowd with unique vocal effects
If you’re a solo performer or singer/songwriter, you’ll love the JUNO-DS61’s mic input, which lets you get great vocal sounds without having to carry around extra gear. There’s a dedicated vocal reverb, plus Auto Pitch for singing with the “stepped” electronic vocal effect popular in today’s music. The built-in vocoder is inspirational too, allowing you to sing into a mic and control the tone and pitch via sounds played on the keyboard.
Everything you need to connect to your DAW and start making music
As a modern musician, you’ll do most of your recording on a home computer using a DAW – and the JUNO-DS61 has everything you need, no extra gear required. The integrated USB interface provides a solid front end for a mobile or studio recording setup, allowing you to record MIDI and audio data, including sounds from the mic input. There’s even a dedicated DAW Control mode for controlling your music software from the JUNO-DS61’s front panel. It’s never been simpler to get your songs done and dusted.
- Lightweight (5.3 kg), gig-ready instrument with pro sounds, enhanced performance features, battery-powered operation, and intuitive operation
- 61-note velocity-sensitive keyboard with synth action
- Instant access to essential pro-quality sounds for band performance, from acoustic and electric pianos, organs, synths and other stage favorites
- Wave expansion slot enables users to download new sound waveforms and patches, available for free at Roland’s Axial website
- Sample import function for playing user WAV files on the JUNO-DS61’s keyboard
- Easy sound manipulation and editing with hands-on knobs and sliders
- Eight Phrase Pads for triggering samples and audio songs stored on USB memory
- Mic input and dedicated Reverb, Vocoder, and Auto Pitch effects for impressive vocal performances
- Intuitive eight-track pattern sequencer with non-stop recording for quickly developing song ideas
- USB audio/MIDI and DAW Control mode
- JUNO-DS librarian is available for managing the onboard sounds from your computer
- Keyboard; 61 keys (with velocity)
- Maximum Polyphony: 128 voices
- Parts: 16 parts
- Preset Memory
- Patches: Over 1200
- Drum kits: Over 30
- Performances: 64
- * GM2 compatible sounds are included.
- User Memory
- Patches: 256
- Drum kits: 8
- Performances: 128
- Favorites: 100
- Wave Expansion Slots
- 1 slot
- * The wave expansion slot is rewritable internal waveform memory. You can download data from the Axial sound library site and write it via a USB flash drive into the JUNO-DS's internal wave memory (slot).
Sample Import Function
- File Format
- Audio file: WAV (44.1 kHz, 16 bits)
- Supports multi-sample (System Program Ver. 2.00 or later, with JUNO-DS Tone Manager)
- Multi-effects: 3 systems, 80 types
- Chorus: 3 types
- Reverb: 5 types
- Mic input reverb: 8 types
Audio File Player Section
- File Format: Audio file: WAV, AIFF, MP3
- Rhythm Pattern
- Preset: 30 groups x 8
- Preset: 128
- Pitch bend/Modulation lever
- Control knob x 4
- Level slider x 4
- Multicolor pad x 8
- Graphic LCD 256 x 80 dots
- External Storage Device
- USB flash drive (supports USB 2.0 Hi-Speed flash memory)
- PEDAL HOLD jack
- PEDAL CONTROL jack
- MIC INPUT jack: 1/4-inch phone type
- EXT INPUT jack: stereo miniature phone type
- OUTPUT jacks (L/MONO, R): 1/4-inch phone type
- PHONES jack: stereo 1/4-inch phone type
- MIDI connectors (IN, OUT)
- USB MEMORY port
- USB COMPUTER port (supports USB MIDI/AUDIO)
- DC IN jack
- Power Supply
- DC 9 V: AC adaptor or rechargeable Ni-MH battery (AA, HR6) (sold separately) x 8
- * Battery life for continuous use (differs depending on the conditions of use)
- Rechargeable nickel metal hydride batteries: approximately 5 hours (when using batteries having a capacity of 1900 mAh) (approximately 4 hours if USB flash drive is connected)
- * Carbon-zinc or alkaline batteries cannot be used
- Current Draw
- 600 mA
- Owner's manual
- Leaflet “USING THE UNIT SAFELY”
- AC adaptor
- Power cord
- Options (sold separately)
- Keyboard stand (*1): KS-18Z, KS-12
- Pedal switch: DP series
- Expression pedal: EV-5
- USB flash memory (*2)
- *1 When using the KS-18Z, ensure that the height of the unit is one meter or lower.
- *2 Use USB Flash Memory (supports USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Flash Memory) sold by Roland. We cannot guarantee operation if other products are used.
Size and Weight
- 1,008 mm
- 39-11/16 inches
- 300 mm
- 11-13/16 inches
- 97 mm
- 3-7/8 inches
- Weight (excluding AC adaptor)
- 5.3 kg
- 11 lbs. 12 oz.