Easy-to-use 88-note weighted-action mobile synth for bands on the move
Life in a modern band doesn’t run like clockwork. In the same day, you might be rehearsing, recording and playing live, with each session demanding a whole new musical approach. Some synths will slow you down with their bulky size and uninspired sounds. The Roland JUNO-DS88 sets you free. Wherever your music leads you, this streamlined weighted-action 88-note synth will follow, with compact dimensions, smart operation and a choice of pro onboard sounds for anything from studio work to street performance. The JUNO-DS88 is the ideal instrument for piano-oriented keyboard players.
Plays like a traditional piano with 88 weighted-action keys
When a keyboard feels good beneath your fingers, it inspires you to write better songs, play tighter shows and take your band to greater creative heights. The JUNO-DS88 might be light and portable, but there’s a satisfying high-end touch to the Ivory Feel-G Keyboard, which is the first in the JUNO series to feature a full 88 weighted-action keys. Try the progressive hammer action alongside the expressive new piano sounds and you’ll know that the JUNO-DS88 is the instrument you want to load in at tonight’s show.
Own the stage, hit the studio, play in the street
When your band is ready to take on the world, there’s nothing worse than a cumbersome synth that ties you to the bedroom. From stage to studio – and back – the JUNO-DS88 is right alongside you. With its compact size, practical weight and speedy setup, this synth takes hectic schedules in its stride, letting you dart from a last-minute band rehearsal to a make-or-break gig, then across town for a recording session. Clubs, pubs and street gigs are all feasible thanks to optional battery power. In an industry that moves fast, the JUNO-DS88 is the only synth that keeps up.
Play in any band with a choice of pro sounds onboard
If you play with several bands in a range of styles, you’ll know how frustrating it is when your synth can’t quickly deliver the required sound. With the JUNO-DS88, you’ve got a library of sounds for every twist and turn of the setlist. Choose your favorite pro-quality sound from nine categories, with over 1,000 sounds including acoustic and electric pianos, organs, and synth – enough choice to cover any musical genre or performance style. And the patches from the previous-generation JUNO-Di synth are fully compatible too; your favorite new sound is just a button-push away.
Get creative with intuitive hands-on editing
With so many bands out there competing for attention, a head-turning synth sound could help you stand out. The JUNO-DS88 is a winner right out of the box – thanks to the selection of instant-access sounds – but even for first-timers, it’s simple to dig into the highly adjustable parameters and find your own voice. Select the performance mode and you can set up advanced sounds like layering strings onto the acoustic piano, or assigning organ and bass to your right and left hands respectively. Create and edit patches. Respond to the crowd and shape your sound mid-song with hands-on controls. Hook up your favorite expression pedals and push the sonic envelope. It’s impossible to be average when you play the JUNO-DS88.
Enjoy instant jam sessions, no bandmates required
Even when your bandmates are out of town, there’s nothing to stop you nailing down the new material with a virtual jam session. Using the JUNO-DS88’s eight Phrase Pads, you can add instant drums to your keyboard parts, or copy audio data (MP3/WAV) to the USB memory and play along with lifelike full-band backing. Plus, when your shows need an added punch, the Phrase Pads can be used as a live sampler: load them up with anything from vocals to sound effects – then trigger them with one touch to make the gig go boom.
A synth that stays fresh, with free downloadable sounds
As an upcoming musician, your playing is bound to evolve, and it’s vital that your synth does the same. You might start with the JUNO-DS88’s onboard sounds, but you’ll soon go further, with this modern synth supporting internal waveform expansion via USB, and giving you access to the best sounds on the web. The versatile EXP-06 Studio Collection is preloaded in the wave expansion slot, but you’ll want to investigate Roland’s Axial website, where over 1000 EXP patches are available for free download. Inspire your performance with top-quality acoustic piano collections, world instruments, go-to studio standards, percussion and loops – or load in WAV files from your own sound library and play them from the keyboard. And the free JUNO-DS librarian software lets you manage all these sound patches using your computer.
The smart way to get your band playing better
The best way for any ambitious band to improve is to listen back to a performance and assess the strengths and weaknesses. While expensive recording gear is beyond most budgets, choose the JUNO-DS88 and you’ve already got a smart solution, all onboard and at no extra cost. With the built-in audio interface function, it’s easy to record your band via the mic input, then store the music on your computer, share with your bandmates and chase down the sections that need work. The JUNO-DS88 is not just a synth – it’s a mobile studio.
Stand out from the crowd with unique vocal effects
If you’re a solo performer or singer/songwriter, you’ll love the JUNO-DS61’s mic input, which lets you get great vocal sounds without having to carry around extra gear. There’s a dedicated vocal reverb, plus Auto Pitch for singing with the “stepped” electronic vocal effect popular in today’s music. The built-in vocoder is inspirational too, allowing you to sing into a mic and control the tone and pitch via sounds played on the keyboard.
The easy way to connect with a DAW and share your professional recordings
DAW recording has levelled the playing field for modern
musicians, and the JUNO-DS88 has everything you need to make professional tracks on your favorite computer package – no extra gear required. The integrated USB interface provides a solid front end for a mobile or studio recording setup, letting you record MIDI and audio data, including sounds from the mic input. There’s even a dedicated DAW Control mode for controlling your music software from the JUNO-DS88’s front panel. It’s the fastest way to get your masterpiece finished and out there.
- 88-note Ivory Feel-G Keyboard with weighted-action feel in a lightweight design that’s easy to transport
- Gig-ready instrument with pro sounds, enhanced performance features, battery-powered operation, and intuitive operation
- Instant access to essential pro-quality sounds for band performance, from acoustic and electric pianos, organs, synths and other stage favorites
- Wave expansion slot enables users to download new sound waveforms, available for free at Roland’s Axial website
- Sample import function for playing user WAV files on the JUNO-DS88’s keyboard
- Easy sound manipulation and editing with hands-on knobs and sliders
- Eight Phrase Pads for triggering samples and audio songs stored on USB memory
- Mic input and dedicated Reverb, Vocoder and Auto Pitch effects for impressive vocal performances
- Intuitive eight-track pattern sequencer with non-stop recording for quickly developing song ideas
- USB audio/MIDI and DAW Control mode
- JUNO-DS librarian is available for managing the onboard sounds from your computer
- 88 keys (Ivory Feel-G Keyboard with Escapement)
- Sound Generator
- Maximum Polyphony
- 128 voices
- 16 parts
- Preset Memory
- Patches: Over 1200
- Drum kits: Over 30
- Performances: 64
- * GM2 compatible sounds are included.
- User Memory
- Patches: 256
- Drum kits: 8
- Performances: 128
- Favorites: 100
- Wave Expansion Slots
- 1 slot
- * The wave expansion slot is rewritable internal waveform memory. You can download data from the Axial sound library site and write it via a USB flash drive into
- the JUNO-DS's internal wave memory (slot).
- Sample Import Function
- File Format
- Audio file: WAV (44.1 kHz, 16 bits)
- Supports multi-sample (System Program Ver. 2.00 or later, with JUNO-DS Tone Manager)
- Multi-effects: 3 systems, 80 types
- Chorus: 3 types
- Reverb: 5 types
- Mic input reverb: 8 types
- Audio File Player Section
- File Format: Audio file: WAV, AIFF, MP3
- Rhythm Pattern
- Preset: 30 groups x 8
- Preset: 128
- Pitch bend/Modulation lever
- Control knob x 4
- Level slider x 4
- Multicolor pad x 8
- Graphic LCD 256 x 80 dots
- External Storage Device
- USB flash drive (supports USB 2.0 Hi-Speed flash memory)
- PEDAL HOLD jack
- PEDAL CONTROL jack
- MIC INPUT jack: 1/4-inch phone type
- EXT INPUT jack: stereo miniature phone type
- OUTPUT jacks (L/MONO, R): 1/4-inch phone type
- PHONES jack: stereo 1/4-inch phone type
- MIDI connectors (IN, OUT)
- USB MEMORY port
- USB COMPUTER port (supports USB MIDI/AUDIO)
- DC IN jack
- Power Supply
- DC 9 V: AC adaptor or rechargeable Ni-MH battery (AA, HR6) (sold separately) x 8
- Current Draw
- 600 mA
- Owner's manual
- Leaflet “USING THE UNIT SAFELY”
- AC adaptor
- Power cord
- Options (sold separately)
- Keyboard stand (*1): KS-18Z, KS-12, KS-G8B
- Pedal switch: DP series
- Expression pedal: EV-5
- USB flash memory (*2)
Size and Weight
- 1,415 mm
- 55-3/4 inches
- 341 mm
- 13-7/16 inches
- 144 mm
- 5-11/16 inches
- Weight (excluding AC adaptor)
- 16.2 kg
- 35 lbs. 12 oz.