Two legends of music and culture unite to bring you the SP-404MKII Stones Throw Limited Edition. Co-curated with Stones Throw Records, this SP sampler collab is more than just a tool
—it’s a work of art. Featuring a striking custom faceplate, exclusive content from the Stones Throw artist roster, plus vinyl and mixtape for collectors, this landmark release celebrates the creative spirit of independent music artists everywhere.
Stones Throw Records
Founded by producer and DJ Peanut Butter Wolf, Stones Throw Records has built an indie music empire by supporting diverse, cutting-edge artists and spreading the word through vinyl, merch, and events. Touchstone releases include albums by Madvillain, J Dilla, Madlib, NxWorries, Knxwledge, Sudan Archives, Mayer Hawthorne, Dâm-Funk, and Aloe Blacc, all widely considered modern musical masterpieces.
Championing Independent Music Since 1996
Stones Throw and its artists helped create the blueprint for contemporary independent music culture, and the label’s massive influence was spotlighted in the 2014 feature-length documentary Our Vinyl Weighs a Ton. Roland SP instruments have been key creative catalysts for the label's roster and fans, who continue to unlock new musical frontiers using the portable samplers’ fluid workflow and go-everywhere design.
New Music by Stones Throw Artists
The SP-404MKII Stones Throw Limited Edition includes ten banks of brand-new music from Kiefer, Sudan Archives, Mndsgn, J.Rocc, and DJ Harrison. With 16 patterns and 16 samples in each bank, listen and explore the creative minds of the artists, then jam along or remix tracks to add your own spin.
Custom Faceplate by Jeff Jank
This one-of-a-kind model features a custom Stones Throw faceplate and special packaging designed by Jeff Jank, the legendary art director and illustrator behind the label’s most quintessential releases. The premium aluminum faceplate and its high-shine finish radiate with the spirit of Stones Throw and the SP-404MKII union.
Collectable Vinyl and Mixtape
Commemorating this powerhouse partnership, the SP-404MKII Stones Throw Limited Edition contains additional content you can’t get anywhere else. There’s a 7-inch vinyl record with two certified burners from Kiefer and Mndsgn, constructed using their custom SP sound banks. You also get a cassette mixtape by DJ icon J.Rocc with an exclusive 30-minute mix from the SP-404MKII x Stones Throw artists.
Ultimate Beatmaking Sidekick
Roland SP samplers are the bona fide kings of performance-based beat making, with deep features and portable designs that fuel the engines of creators on the move. The SP-404MKII is the latest generation model in the long-running series, delivering ultimate performance with the latest tech advancements and updates inspired by the global SP community.
- Vivid OLED display for visual waveform editing, full menu access, and more
- 17 velocity sensitive RGB pads with smooth playability
- Compact, ultra-lightweight design with versatile power options: USB-C, mobile battery, six AA batteries, or an AC adaptor
- Extensive onboard effects, including SP classics like Vinyl Simulator and DJFX Looper, Lo-fi, Cassette Simulator, and Resonator effects
- Maximum Polyphony – 32 voices
- Recordable Data – Samples = 2,560 (16 samples x 10 banks x 16 projects, stored in internal storage); Patterns = 2,560 (16 patterns x 10 banks x 16 projects, stored in internal storage)
- Internal storage – Size: 16 GB *Including preload data
- Maximum sampling time – 16 minutes (approximately 176 MB per sample)
- Skip Back Sampling – 20 seconds (capturing the last moments of performance)
- Data format – 16-bit linear WAV, AIFF, MP3 import supported *SP-404MK2APP supports WAV, AIFF, MP3, FLAC, M4A.
- Sampling frequency – 48kHz
- Pattern Sequencer – Resolution = 480 ticks, quarter note; Pattern length = 1 to 64 bars; recording method = Realtime Loop Recording
- Effects –Multi-effects: 37 types; Input effects: 2 types
- Pad – 16 pads + 1 sub pad (Velocity-sensitive pad)
- Controller – Control knobs x 3
- Display – Graphic OLED display
- External Storage – SD card (sold separately) for backup, restore, import, and export functions (SDHC compatible)
- Connection terminals –
- PHONES jacks: 1/4-inch phone type, Stereo miniature phone type
- LINE OUT (L/MONO, R) jacks: 1/4-inch TRS phone type (impedance balanced)
- LINE IN (L/MONO, R) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
- MIC/GUITAR IN jacks: 1/4-inch TRS phone type (for MIC), 1/4-inch phone type (for GUITAR)
- MIDI (IN, OUT) jack: Stereo miniature phone type
- USB terminal: USB Type-C (Audio, MIDI)
- DC IN terminal
- Power Supply –
- AC adaptor
- USB bus power supply (USB Type-C port, 1.5 A or more)
- Ni-MH batteries (AA, HR6) (sold separately) x 6
- Alkaline battery (AA, LR6) (sold separately) x 6
- Current Draw – 1,100 mA (AC adaptor); 1,500 mA (USB bus power)
- Expected battery life under continuous use – Alkaline battery: Approx. 2.5 hours; Ni-MH battery: Approx. 3.5 hours *This can vary depending on the specifications of the batteries, capacity of the batteries, and the conditions of use.
- External dimensions – 177.5 (W) x 275.8 (D) x 70.5 (H) mm7 (W) x 10-7/8 (D) x 2-13/16 (H) inches
- Weight (excluding AC adaptor) – 1.1 kg; 2 lbs. 7 oz
- Accessories –
- Quick start
- "Read Me First" leaflet
- Roland User Registration Card
- AC adaptor
- Warranty card
- Options (sold separately) – TRS/MIDI connecting cable: BMIDI-5-35