Vanguard Audio Labs VSSM Heavy Duty Small Microphone Shockmount
While our chief engineer was the first to popularize the “tube” style shockmount for pencil condensers, we felt we could build a better version and really give you the best possible isolation mount for your microphones.
First, we widened the inner diameter to 37.5mm, which will safely support microphones with up to a 30mm diameter. This means all of your pencil condensers, as well as several popular ribbon microphones and medium-diaphragm condensers, will be safely and comfortably supported by the VSSM.
Then we added a 240º window to the VSSM body. This allows you to easily access a pad, rolloff, or pattern switch on the microphone without affecting placement.
We also wanted to get rid of the aggravating experiences with those flimsy elastic bands that come standard with most shockmounts. They get stretched out and saggy, and sometimes snap without warning – not something you want to happen when your mic is in there! Instead, we install aerospace-grade rubberized suspension rings that won’t break, sag, crack, or stretch over time. We picked a precise durometer for the suspension rings that will firmly support even the heaviest microphones, while still maintaining superb decoupling properties to prevent unwanted rumble and vibration.
The bands can be crossed either horizontally/vertically or diagonally to provide a more secure grip to differently-sized microphones.
The VSSM comes as a standard accessory for the Vanguard V1 Multi-Capsule Pencil Condenser Kit. However, it is a superior shockmount for a wide variety of condenser, ribbon, shotgun, and dynamic microphones from several brands, with a diameter of up 30mm. Consult the list below to see compatible microphone models.
- Advanced Audio – CM1084
- AKG – C451, C460, C391B, P170
- AMT – AMT404
- Audio-Technica – AT2021, AT4041, AT4021, AT4022, AT4051, AT4053B, AT8015, AT8035, AT875R, AT897, ATM450, Pro 37
- Audix – f9, f15, ADX51, TM1
- Avantone – CK-1
- Behringer – B-5, C-2, C-4, ECM8000
- Beyerdynamic – TG I53, MCE 72
- Blue – Hummingbird,
- CAD – C9, GXL1200BP, ICM417
- DPA – 4011A, 4006A, 4091
- Earthworks – DP30-C, P30C-B, P30C-W, SR20/25/30/30HC/40/40HC, TC20/25/30QTC30/40/50
- Electro-Voice – PL37
- GoldenAge – FC4
- Lauten – LA120
- Miktek – C5
- Mojave – MA100, MA101
- MXL – 991, 993, 603S
- Telefunken USA – M60/61/62, ELA M 260
- Neumann – KM84/85/86, KM183/184/185,
- Oktava – MK012, MC012,
- Peluso – P84, CEMC 6
- Peluso – P84, CEMC 6
- Røde – NT4, NT5, NT55, M5, NTG1/2/3
- Royer – R-121, R-121 LIVE, R-122 MKII, R-122 MKII LIVE, R-122V, SF12
- Samson – CO2
- Schoeps – CMC641, Collette, CMC6
- Sennheiser – e614, e914, MKH 40, MKH 50, MKH 800, MKH 8040 (w/ XLR Module only)
- Shure – Beta 181, SM81, SM94, SM137, KSM37
…and many more. If your microphone has a diameter less than 30mm and a length greater than 65mm, it will most likely be compatible with this shockmount.
We use a heavy-duty zinc alloy for the VSSM body and knob. There’s no brazes or welds that can weaken over time. Instead, each component is precision-cast.
We chose to make the pivot out of impact-resistant ABS thermoplastic polymer to provide superior friction. This will keep the microphone from slowly sliding out of position.
The threaded part of the knob, as well as the dual-threading (American 5/8″-24tpi and European 3/8″-16tpi) in the pivot, are machined from brass.
The VSSM is finished with a durable heat-cured powdercoat, colored matte black.
- Heavy-duty zinc alloy & high-impact ABS construction
- Aerospace-grade suspension rings
- Windowed design
- 36.5mm inner diameter will accommodate wide variety of other brands
- Outside Diameter: 49.5mm (≈2″)
- Inside Diameter: 37.5mm (≈1 1/2″)
- Length: 58mm (≈2 1/4″)
- Body, knob: precision-cast zinc alloy
- Pivot: high-impact ABS
- Threading: brass