Zoom H5 Portable Handheld Recorder
Evolved recording in more ways than one.
Our products are constantly evolving to meet the needs of the creators who use them. With the H5 Handy Recorder, the tradition continues. The H5 provides four tracks of simultaneous recording and, like our flagship H6, it can use all Zoom interchangeable input capsules, allowing you to choose the best microphone for every recording situation. The flexible and powerful H5 provides everything you need to create multitrack recordings, audio for video, and state-of-the-art podcasting, broadcasting and electronic newsgathering.
X/Y recording allows you to cover a wide area yet still capture sound sources in the center with clarity and definition, making it ideal for all types of live stereo recording. The XYH-5 X/Y microphone capsule included with the H5 provides two matched unidirectional condenser microphones set at a 90 degree angle. These are housed within an advanced shockmount that employs rugged external mic wires and rubberized material to isolate the unit from the H5 body and thus minimize vibration and handling noise. The design of the XYH-5 also allows the H5 to handle louder sounds than any other Handy Recorder model: 140 dB SPL, to be precise—equivalent to the sound of a jet aircraft from less than 200 feet away—enabling you to capture sounds louder, closer, and cleaner than you ever could before.
The H5's modular design means that you can always use the best microphone for every recording environment.
In addition to standard transport controls (stop, play/pause, record, rewind and fast-forward), the front panel of the H5 offers dedicated record arming buttons for each track, which double as mute switches during playback. A Hold switch disables all front panel buttons to prevent accidental operation during recording. The H5 can be attached to a camera strap or, with the use of our optional Hot Shoe mount, mounted directly to a DSLR or camcorder.
The H5 also provides everything you need to connect with the outside world. Dual combo XLR/TRS inputs that can handle both mic- and line-level signals allow you to connect external microphones and line-level devices like mixers, portable music players, effects processors and electronic keyboards—even electric guitars or basses equipped with active electronics. Each H5 input has its own dedicated gain control knob, located beneath a protective bar that prevents accidental movement during handling. The supplied XYH-5 X/Y capsule also provides a secondary input for connecting stereo mic- or line-level signal via a ⅛" mini phone jack. The H5 supports a +4 dB (professional) input level and utilizes the same high-quality preamps as our flagship H6, ensuring great-sounding recordings in all sonic environments.
There are lots of output options as well. A dedicated Line Out with adjustable volume allows you to send a stereo audio output from the H5 to the mic input of a video camera or other device without the need for an attenuator cable. In addition, there's a separate headphone output with a dedicated volume control. You can use both outputs simultaneously to route audio to your DSLR while monitoring over headphones. There's also a built-in speaker for fast access playback, and a USB port which allows the H5 to be used as an audio interface for your computer or iPad.
Power and Storage
Just 2 AA batteries—either alkaline or rechargeable NiMH—are required for power. When using alkaline batteries, the H5 will operate for more than 15 hours, even while recording continuously. You can also use an optional AC adapter to power the H5 without batteries. The H5 records directly to SD and SDHC cards up to 32 gigabytes. Maximum recording time is dependent upon the card size and file type; for example, the supplied 2GB SD card can hold approximately fourteen hours of stereo 320kbps MP3 files, three hours of stereo 16-bit / 44.1 kHz WAV files, or an hour of stereo 24-bit / 96kHz WAV files.
The H5 can operate in two different modes—choose stereo for two-track stereo recording, or multitrack for four-track recording (in either stereo pairs or individual mono tracks)—and it captures audio in the two most commonly used file formats: WAV and MP3.
The WAV files recorded by the H5 can be 16- or 24-bit, with sampling rates of 44.1, 48, or 96kHz*. They are automatically time-stamped and thus Broadcast Wave Format (BWF) compliant, allowing for precise synchronization in video post-production. MP3 files, while slightly lower in fidelity, are much smaller than WAV files and are thus easier to email and post on social networking sites—allowing you to quickly and easily share your creations around the world.
* 96kHz sampling rate available in stereo mode only
The H5's onboard effects allow you to add polish to your recordings. Compression and limiting compensate for fluctuations in input level, while a low-cut filter helps eliminate wind noise, blowing, and other kinds of low frequency rumble. There's even an onboard metronome and chromatic/guitar/bass tuner.
But the list of H5 features doesn't end there. There's playback looping, pitch change and variable playback speed (without pitch change) to help with phrase training. A pre-record function that keeps the H5 continuously recording in the background, keeping the previous two seconds before you hit RECORD.
There’s an Auto-Record function that allows recording to begin automatically when a certain level of sound is detected and an equivalent Auto-Stop function that ends recording when the sound drops below a user-designated level, either immediately or up to 5 seconds later. And then there's Backup-Record—the ultimate safety net.* It enables the H5 to automatically record a duplicate set of stereo tracks with 12dB less input gain. Even if your original track is distorted, chances are the Backup version will be fine!
You can even use your H5 as an audio interface, complete with a Loop Back function that makes it easy to add narration to music playback. Simply connect the H5 to your computer or iPad** via USB, launch your favorite DAW or use the included Cubase LE or WaveLab LE software, and start creating a masterpiece.
* 44.1 and 48kHz WAV files only.
** Apple Camera Connection Kit required.
Attach to a video camera as an external microphone.
The H5 is perfect for use on a video or DSLR camera. The remarkable depth and clarity of sound achieved by the stereo mic design brings additional realism and depth to HD video. By attaching the H5 to a DSLR video camera with an optional hot shoe mount (HS-1), you can create a professional video system with high-quality sound.
• Uses a system of interchangeable input capsules that can be swapped out as easily as the lens of a camera
• Includes detachable X/Y capsule (XYH-5) with extended signal capacity and shockmounted mics for reduced handling noise
• Compatible with all Zoom input capsules
• Four-track simultaneous recording
• Large backlit LCD display
• Records directly to SD and SDHC cards up to 32GB
• Up to 24-bit/96kHz audio in BWF-compliant WAV or a variety of MP3 formats
• Two mic/line inputs with XLR/TRS combo connectors each with selectable phantom power and -20dB pad
• Analog-style gain controls for each input
• Protective "roll-bar" type covers prevent accidental movement of gain controls
• Plug-in power (2.5 volts)
• Built-in effects, including low-cut filtering, compression and limiting
• Chromatic tuner and metronome
• Auto-record, Pre-record and Backup-record functions mean that you'll never miss that perfect take
• MS decoding
• Multitrack to stereo internal mixdown
• Normalize, Divide and Trim editing
• Voice memo and up to 99 marks per recording
• A/B loop playback
• Variable playback speed and variable pitch without affecting playback speed
• Multichannel and stereo USB audio interface for PC/Mac/iPad with loop back function
• Mountable to DSLR or camcorder with optional HS-1 Hot Shoe Mount adapter
• Uses two standard AA alkaline or NiMH rechargeable batteries
• Over 15 hours of operation with alkaline batteries
Zoom EXH6 Dual XLR/TRS Combo Input Capsule For H6 and H5 Portable Handheld Recorders
If you need more inputs, simply plug in the optional EXH-6 Dual XLR/TRS Combo capsule. It allows you to connect up to six discrete signals from external microphones, instruments, mixers or portable music players, making the H6 the smallest six-track recorder on the planet!
Note: The EXH-6 does not support phantom power.
Zoom APH-5 Accessory Pack For The Zoom H5
Audio-Technica ATH-M40X Professional Monitoring Headphones
The M-Series ATH-M40x professional monitor headphones are tuned flat for incredibly accurate audio monitoring across an extended frequency range. Your studio experience is enhanced with superior sound isolation and swiveling earcups for convenient one-ear monitoring. Engineered with pro-grade materials and robust construction, the M40x excels in professional studio tracking and mixing, as well as DJ monitoring.
More About the M-Series Headphones
Critically acclaimed M-Series professional monitor headphones deliver accurate audio and outstanding comfort, perfect for long sessions in the studio and on the go. Contoured earcups seal tight for excellent sound isolation, with minimal bleed. And the pro-grade materials are durable, yet comfortable. Find out why online reviewers, top audio engineers, and cult followers agree, M-Series is an unmatched combination of audio and build-quality that gets the job done. Hour after hour, year after year.
- Cutting-edge engineering and robust construction
- 40 mm drivers with rare earth magnets and copper-clad aluminum wire voice coils
- Tuned flat for incredibly accurate sound monitoring across the entire frequency range
- Circumaural design contours around the ears for excellent sound isolation in loud environments
- 90° swiveling earcups for easy, one-ear monitoring
- Professional-grade earpad and headband material delivers more durability and comfort
- Collapsible for space-saving portability
- Detachable cable (includes 1.2 m - 3.0 m coiled cable and 3.0 m straight cable)
- For professional studio tracking and mixing, as well as DJ monitoring
- Type: Closed-back dynamic
- Driver Diameter: 40mm
- Magnet: Neodynium
- Voice Coil: CCAW (Copper-clad aluminum wire)
- Frequency Response: 15 Hz - 24 kHz
- Maximum Input Power: 1,600 mW @ 1 kHz
- Sensitivity: 98 dB
- Impedance: 35 Ohms
- Weight: 240 g (8.5 oz.), without cable and connector
- Cable: Includes two interchangeable cables: Detachable 1.2 m -3.0 m (3.9' - 9.8') coiled cable and detachable 3.0 m (9.8') straight cable
- Accessories Included: Protective carrying couch, 6.3 mm (1/4") screw on adapter