Back by popular demand and reimagined for the first time since its debut, the Excel Style B Throwback is a slimmed down non-cutaway archtop and time machine to the Jazz Age. A slim-C neck profile, shallow upper bout depth, and 25-inch scale length make the Style B Throwback a notably comfortable archtop while still maintaining robust acoustic tone. Old-school details and Throwback Collection appointments—including the scroll-style headstock designed by John D'Angelico in the 30s—make the Style B a visual stunner.
Throwback Scroll-style Headstock
Designed by John D'Angelico in the 1940s, the new Throwback Scroll-style headstock design offers a more minimalistic, contemporary take on the opulent D'Angelico headstock design.
Ebony Fingerboard with Full Fret Mother-of-Pearl Blocks
Traditionally used on archtops for its notable articulation, the Excel Throwback Collection features ebony fingerboards, resulting in the unmistakable "woody" tone heard across the history of fine archtops.
Macassar Ebony Pickguard
Matching the new Throwback Collection scroll-style headstock, a satin-finished macassar ebony pickguard adds comfort, style, and old-school swag.
Further aiding in the "woody" tone of the archtops found in the Throwback Collection, throwback-style f-holes are more contoured and slightly wider, emanating more tone and offering greater projection.
USA Seymour Duncan Johnny Smith Pickup
Modeled after the tone of the great jazz guitarist Johnny Smith, Seymour Duncan Johnny Smith mini-humbucker elevates archtop tone. A lot of tone in a little pickup.
Note:This one's B-Stock due to some minor cloudiness in the finish at the headstock
- Specific Model: Excel Style B Throwback, Viola
- Hardware Color: Gold
- D'Angelico Logo: Mother of Pearl D'Angelico New York Logo
- Series Inlay (Front): Mother of Pearl Throwback Excel Series Shield
- Serial Number (Back): Model Name, Serial Number
- Binding: 7-ply, Cream
- Headpin: N/A
- Tuners: Grover Super Rotomatic
- Strings: D'Angelico Electrozinc Jazz 12's (12-52)
- Truss Rod Cover: Aluminum Skyscraper, Gold
- Nut Width: 1 11/16”
- Nut Material: Bone
- Material: Ebony
- Binding: 3 Ply
- Fretwire: Medium Jumbo
- Scale Length: 24.75"
- Radius: 16"
- Top Inlay: Mother of Pearl Full Fret Block
- Side Marker: Yes
- Fret Number: 20 (Scroll-Style Bevel)
- Material: 3 piece
- Finish: Gloss
- Profile: C-Shape
- Joint Type: Set-Thru
- Thickness at 1st Fret: 20mm
- Thickness at 12th Fret: 22mm
- Truss Rod: Dual Action
- Body Shape: Non-Cutaway
- Body Style: Hollowbody
- Body Depth: 2.8"
- Body Width: 17"
- Color: Viola
- Finish: Gloss
- Top Material: Laminated Spruce
- Back Material: Laminated Flame Maple
- Side Material: Laminated Flame Maple
- Binding: 5-ply body, 2-ply Throwback F-hole
- Bridge: Floating Ebony
- Tail & Tailpiece: D’Angelico Stairstep
- Pickguard: Satin Ebony Macassar, Throwback Flag
- Pickup Selector: N/A
- Knobs: 2 Mini-Hexagon
- Strap Buttons: Two Gold / Locking
- Electronics Overview: 1 Floating Mini-Humbucker / 1 volume / 1 tone
- Pickup (Neck): USA Seymour Duncan Johnny Smith Floating Mini-Humbucker
- Pickup (Middle): N/A
- Pickup (Bridge): N/A
- Pots: 500k
- Output Jack: Standard mono
- SKU: DAESTBTBVIOGT
- Made In: Korea
- Case: Deluxe Hardshell Case
- Instrument weight: 7 lbs