Dingwall Combustion 5 5-String Multi-Scale Bass, Maple Fretboard, Indigoburst
We're officially a proud dealer for Dingwall basses! Here's a gorgeous Combustion 5-string in a beautiful Indigoburst over a quilt maple top with a maple fingerboard.
If you're a bassist, and you think "multi-scale", you're going to immediately picture a Dingwall in your head. The best part with these basses is that even if you've never picked up or played a multi-scale bass before, it takes virtually zero adjustment. You can close your eyes and your fingers land in the right spot very naturally.
Whether you're drop-tuning or keeping it standard, the benefits of the multi-scale are immediately evident. This becomes even more obvious on a 5-string. Every string has the proper tension and fullness to the tone. Sometimes with extended scale length basses, you end up sacrificing the tone and response of the higher strings, and they can sometimes sound thin and whiney. But of course, if you go with a shorter scale length, then your lower strings get a little floppy and woofy. But our friends at Dingwall were able to perfect a design where everything is even, balanced and perfect.
The Combustion is an excellent way to get into the Dingwall feel and sound without any compromises. It's got a powerful EMG preamp that compliments the pickups well and provides some nice versatility while adding a decidedly modern tone to the overall sound of the instrument.
Phenomenal construction meets brilliant engineering along with face-melting tone. This is the one, right here!
The Combustion succeeds in providing the ultimate combination of tone, performance and value, making it perfect for both stage and studio work. Thanks to our hybrid manufacturing approach, each bass receives a final fret level and is set up by our skilled team of artisans in Canada, which means you can enjoy all of the cutting-edge Dingwall benefits at a more affordable price. Select from a left or right-handed model, Maple or Pau Ferro 4-, 5- or 6- strings, with or without a pickguard and take your pick from a range of available of finishes, including Natural Ash, Indigoburst, Vintageburst, Indigoburst and Whalepoolburst, Ultraviolet.
- The body is swamp ash and modelled on our Custom Shop Afterburner. It’s compact and lightweight, making for a bass that’s comfortable to wear and beautifully balanced.
- The five-piece maple neck is securely attached via four bolts and the fingerboard employs Ralph Novak’s fanned-fret system and a 34–37” scale spread (the scale length of the B string is three inches longer than the G), with a 240mm fretboard radius making it superfast over a full two octaves.
- The Combustion comes fitted with Dingwall FD3-N pickups that are made to our exacting specifications using neodymium magnets, which offer both high output and a smooth, but aggressive tone. They’re wired to a 3-band EMG preamp, along with a 4-position Quad-tone pickup selector, master volume and an active/passive toggle switch.
- The bridge started with an available bridge/saddle system that met our requirements for solid performance and great tone. We then improved on it by designing a custom riser system to provide an increased range of flexibility when it comes to adjusting the action. The headstock combines the same minimalist shape of the Afterburner with the lightest import tuners we could find. We collaborated with Hipshot to modify their Ultra-lite tuners, which resulted in a shorter tuning peg that allows proper downward angle at the nut for maximum sustain and improved stability.
- Dingwall strings have been meticulously tested to maximize performance and deliver a tone that blends effortlessly with any style of music. We were the first company to design strings specifically for multi-scale instruments. Available in both nickel and stainless steel, our strings provide an even tension for optimal balance, letting you experience the warmest highs and the tightest lows possible.
- Model: Dingwall Combustion 5-String
- Color: Indigoburst
- Top: Quilt Maple
- Body: Swamp Ash
- Construction: Bolt-On
- Fretboard: Maple
- Neck Wood: 5-Piece Maple
- Scale: 37” - 34” (940mm –864mm)
- Fretboard Radius: 9.45"
- Inlays: Dots
- Frets: 24 “acoustic-sized” frets, 0.040” tall x 0.080” wide
- Neck Shape: Medium-Thin C
- Pickups: FD-3N
- Controls: Volume, Rotary Pickup Selector, 3-Band EMG Preamp, Active/Passive Mini-Toggle
- Output Jack: Switchcraft
- Hardware Finish: Smoked Chrome
- String Spacing: 0.709” (18mm)
- Bridge: Dingwall Minimalist
- Tuners: Licensed Hipshot Ultralite 3/8”
- Pickguard: Matte Black
- Case: Custom Dingwall Padded Gigbag
- Instrument Weight: 9.5 lbs