Widely regarded as the most recognizable electric guitar ever, Eddie Van Halen’s iconic and revered Frankenstein™ guitar now comes your way with a price tag the everyday musician can afford in the form of the EVH® Striped Series Frankenstein™ "Frankie."
Sporting Eddie’s famed red with white-and-black-striped paint job and a worn-in reliced look, the all-new Frankie features a basswood Stratocaster®-style body paired to a graphite-reinforced quartersawn maple neck. An oiled finish on the back of the neck allows for hours of playing comfort, while the 12”-16” compound radius maple fingerboard with 22 jumbo frets was designed for fast and furious playing styles.
Routed for an HSS pickup configuration just like Eddie’s original, Frankie features an EVH Wolfgang® humbucking bridge pickup with a dummy Strat® neck pickup and a dummy five-way blade housed in the middle position.
A sturdy and dependable EVH-branded Floyd Rose® locking trem and Floyd Rose locking nut work in tandem for precise tuning even with extreme changes in pitch, while the EVH D-Tuna® retunes to drop-D and back with strict accuracy at the flick of a finger.
Other unique features include a white skirted Strat-style single volume control knob (labeled “tone”), custom black pickguard, reliced chrome hardware, standard strap buttons and EVH neck plate.
Bolt-On Quartersawn Maple Neck with Eddie Van Halen's Modified “C” Backshape
Bolt-on is a type of neck construction that joins the maple neck to the body of the guitar with screws or bolts, resulting in bright tone with more control. The quartersawn grain runs the length of the neck and as well as being visually appealing, is less susceptible to shrinking, warping or splitting. Graphite-reinforcement rods flank the truss rod for even more increased neck stability, while your fretting hand will feel right at home on the modified “C”-shape neck, which has a .790” thickness at the 3rd fret and .825” at the 12th fret.
12"-16" Compound Radius Maple Fingerboard
The innovative 12"-16" compound radius maple fingerboard design gradually flattens toward the heel from its smaller and more rounded profile at the nut for unparalleled comfortable chording and riffing near the nut and seamless bending near the heel. Maple is a dense wood that produces bright, snappy tones, articulate notes with bite and a tight low end.
Eddie's Famed Frankenstein Pickup Mods
To throw imitators off his scent, Eddie faked people out by hacking into his original Frankenstein guitar and screwing a three-way switch sideways into the middle position and housing a non-functional single coil pickup in the neck position. The Frankie guitar follows suit, featuring an EVH Wolfgang humbucking bridge pickup with a dummy Strat neck pickup and a dummy five-way blade housed in the middle position. The direct mount EVH Wolfgang bridge humbucker with Alnico 2 magnets is hotter and delivers rich harmonics, cutting highs and snarling mids.
Unique Cosmetics & Appointments
Other standout appointments of this fan favorite include a reliced red with white-and-black-striped paint job, reliced hardware, custom black pickguard, top-mount Strat-style output jack and white skirted Strat-style single volume control knob labeled “Tone.”
EVH-Branded Floyd Rose Locking Trem, R3 Locking Nut and EVH D-Tuna
Eddie Van Halen was the first player to popularize the innovative Floyd Rose locking tremolo, even advising Floyd Rose on his early designs to integrate round disc finger-type tuners that you would see on a cello or violin. Now universally embraced, our EVH-branded Floyd Rose bridge features our EVH logo stamped on the bridge plate, steel saddles and a solid brass block. The Floyd Rose bridge and R3 (43 mm) locking nut is a professional-grade double-locking design that secures the strings in the saddle and nut, providing ultimate tuning stability and dynamic tremolo action. Standard equipment on Eddie’s personal guitars since the early ‘90s, the EVH D-Tuna is a unique patented device that enables players to drop the E to D and back, in an instant.
- Model Number: 5107900503
- Series: Striped Series
- Color: Red with Black Stripes Relic
- Number of Strings: 6
- Orientation: Right-Hand
- Body Finish: Satin Lacquer
- Body Shape: Stratocaster®
- Body Material: Basswood
- Bridge Pickup: Direct Mount EVH® Wolfgang® Humbucking
- Middle Pickup: N/A
- Neck Pickup: Dummy Strat® Pickup
- Pickup Color: Black
- Controls: Volume
- Pickup Switching: Dummy Five-Way Blade
- Pickup Configuration: HSS
- Neck Material: Quartersawn Maple
- Neck Construction: Bolt-On with Graphite Reinforcement
- Neck Thickness: .790" at 3rd fret & .825" at 12th fret
- Neck Finish: Oiled
- Neck Shape: EVH® Modified "C" Backshape
- Scale Length: 25.5" (648 mm)
- Fingerboard Radius: 12"-16" Compound Radius (304.8 mm to 406.4 mm)
- Fingerboard Material: Maple
- Number of Frets: 22
- Fret Size: Jumbo
- Nut Material: Floyd Rose® R3 Locking
- Nut Width: 1.6875" (42.86 mm)
- Position Inlays: Black Dot
- Truss Rod Nut: Heel-Mount Truss Rod Adjustment Wheel
- Truss Rod Wrench: 2.5 mm Hex
- String Trees: Floyd Rose® Retainer Bar
- Headstock: Licensed Fender® Stratocaster®
- Neck Plate: 4-Bolt Standard
- Bridge: EVH®-Branded Floyd Rose® Locking Tremolo with EVH® D-Tuna®
- Hardware Finish: Chrome Relic
- Tremolo Arm: Floyd Rose® 1000 Series Locking
- Tremolo Block: Brass
- Tuning Machines: EVH®-Branded Gotoh®
- Pickguard: Black Custom Frankie
- Control Knobs: Parchment Stratocaster®-Style Skirt (Labeled "Tone")
- Strings: EVH® Nickel Plated Steel (.009-.042 Gauges)
- Strap Buttons: Oversized
- Case/Gig Bag: Optional EVH® Striped Hardshell (p/n 022-6100-506); Optional EVH® Black Gig Bag (p/n 022-1512-006)
- Included Accessories: Tremolo Arm, Hex Keys & User Manual
- Instrument weight: 7.1 lbs