The AC-Signature fretless has been developed in collaboration with Canadian jazz legend Alain Caron since the mid-1980’s. This series was inspired by Alain’s desire to have one fretless bass that could do it all—anything from acoustic to modern electric tones, a big clear voice to hold down a groove and an extended range fingerboard with easy access for soloing. Al often refers to playing fretless as a second language, so it was imperative that this instrument be highly expressive and sensitive to playing dynamics. This is achieved through our original semi-chambered design, procurement of premium lumber used in traditional upright bass builds, our handwound F Bass single-coil pickup, RMC Piezo saddle pickup system, and our natural & transparent F Bass preamp. This is a highly refined instrument and has been dubbed by our players as the “King of Fretless”!
- Model: AC4 Alain Caron Signature Fretless
- Color: Antique Brown Burst
- Top: Spruce
- Body: Chambered Flame Maple
- Construction: Bolt-On
- Fretboard: Gabon Ebony
- Neck: Quartersawn Maple, Satin
- Scale: 34"
- Nut Width: 1.5"
- "Frets": 28 Maple Fret Lines
- Fingerboard Radius: 10" - 16" Compound
- Headstock: Matching
- Pickups: F-Bass Stacked Single-Coil & RMC Piezo Saddles
- Controls: Magnetic Pickup Volume (p/p for single-coil or hum-canceling), Piezo Volume, Tone (p/p for active/passive), Bass Boost, Mid Boost, Treble Boost
- Preamp: F-Bass 9v 3-Band EQ
- Bridge: Handmade Ebony Bridge - 19mm String Spacing
- Tuners: Gotoh 20:1 Ratio
- Hardware Finish: Black
- Case: F-Bass Heavy Duty Gig Bag
- Instrument Weight: 8 lbs.