We're stoked to present this 1951 Telecaster reissue in the iconic Butterscotch Blonde finish from the new American Vintage II line! The new American Vintage II series brings back the original "American Vintage Reissue (AVRI)" of old with improved upon pickup design, more accurate neck shapes, and other period-correct specs. A lot of us here at the shop grew up lusting after those guitars and we're glad to finally get these into our hands years later.
1951 was the first year the Telecaster really came into its own as we know it today, after several early iterations known as the Broadcaster and Nocaster. Featuring smooth-sounding Alnico single-coil pickups, a lacquer-finished 1-ply black pickguard, and a hefty "U"-shaped 1-piece maple neck, the Telecaster in this classic configuration quickly found its way onto millions of records.
The '51 U neck shape is meaty to say the least, but it still manages to feel supremely comfortable and player-friendly with all the vintage mojo you can ask for. The swamp ash body is phenomenally resonant, and it pairs nicely with the maple neck to give the guitar a bright, clear voice with a distinct piano-like presence in the mids.
Early 50s Tele pickups, which these Pure Vintage '51s nail to the "T" (see what I did there?), tend to be very smooth and piano-like whilst originating the brassy "twang" that made this guitar famous. There's really no other way to describe the sound of these pickups other than "classic". The output level is just right and exactly what you expect - it's the Tele sound you hear in your head, without question.
For a faithful reissue of one of the Tele's most iconic eras, this AVRI II 1951 model is the way to go - this is the classic Fender Telecaster, pure and unadulterated.
Just one year after launching the Broadcaster®, Fender received a cease-and-desist telegram from the Fred Gretsch Mfg. Co. and was faced with renaming its flagship electric guitar. Taking inspiration from the booming growth and expansive reach of television, the first blackguard Telecaster rolled off the line in late 1951, and the model has been in continuous production ever since. Deceptively simple and totally groundbreaking, the Telecaster® brought the solid body electric guitar to the masses, inspiring countless musicians along the way.
The American Vintage II 1951 Telecaster features an ash body finished in Butterscotch Blonde to capture the tone and look of the original. The substantial ‘51 “U”-shaped hard rock maple neck plays like a dream with a 7.25” radius fingerboard and vintage tall frets. Characteristic of production in 1951, 12th fret face-dot spacing is narrow and the sole Phillips-head fastener on the guitar is at the truss rod nut. The triple brass saddle bridge, single-line “Fender Deluxe” tuners and Pure Vintage ‘51 Telecaster pickups deliver classic twang and authentic Fender style.
- Body: Ash
- Color: Butterscotch Blonde
- Body Finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Body Shape: Telecaster®
- Headstock: Telecaster®
- Neck Material: 1-Piece Maple
- Neck Finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Neck Shape: 1951 "U"
- Neck Construction: 4-Bolt
- Fingerboard Radius: 7.25" (184.1 mm)
- Fingerboard Material: Maple
- Position Inlays: Black Dot
- Side Dots: Black
- Number of Frets: 21
- Truss Rod: Vintage-Style Butt Adjust
- Truss Rod Nut: Vintage-Style Butt Adjust
- String Nut: Bone
- Nut Width: 1.650" (42 mm)
- Nut Material: Bone
- Bridge: Pure Vintage 3-Saddle Tele® with Brass Barrel Saddles, Serialized
- Bridge Cover/Tailpiece: Includes Chrome Bridge Cover
- Bridge Mounting: 4-Screw Vintage-Style
- Pickguard: 1-Ply Black Phenolic
- Pickup Covers: Neck: Chrome; Bridge: Black
- Control Knobs: Knurled Dome
- Switch Tip: Barrel Style, Black
- Hardware Finish: Nickel/Chrome
- Tuning Machines: Pure Vintage Single Line "Fender Deluxe"
- String Trees: Vintage-Style Disc
- Strings: Fender® USA 250R Nickel Plated Steel (.010-.046 Gauges), PN 0730250406
- Neck Plate: 4-Bolt
- Strap Buttons: Vintage-Style
- Bridge Pickup: Pure Vintage '51 Single-Coil Tele®
- Neck Pickup: Pure Vintage '51 Single-Coil Tele®
- Pickup Configuration: SS
- Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
- Switching: 3-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
- Case: Vintage-Style Tweed (Red Interior)
- Series: American Vintage II
- Country Of Origin: US
- Instrument Weight: 8.1 lbs