As premier Fender dealers, we're beyond excited to present this 1963 Telecaster reissue in a gorgeous Crimson Red Transparent from the new American Vintage II line! The new American Vintage II series brings back the original "American Vintage Reissue (AVRI)" of old with improved upon pickup design, more accurate neck shapes, and other period-correct specs. A lot of us here at the shop grew up lusting after those guitars and we're glad to finally get these into our hands years later.
The '60s brought upon a wide variety of changes for the already-iconic (even at the time) Tele, with the mainstay Fender offering switching over from transparent blonde finishes and a one-piece maple neck to other body woods such as alder - or in rare cases, mahogany, what this specific AVRI II reissue here honors - and a rosewood fingerboard along with punchier Alnico V pickups.
This guitar is just awesome to play. The '63 C neck shape is very typical early-60s Fender, which is a nice medium C profile that fills the hand nicely with a good amount of shoulders to grab onto and was the basis for many of the neck shapes out today. The mahogany body offered with this specific color and round-laminate rosewood (an awesome mid-60s touch only offered on truly vintage-faithful reissues) work together to give the guitar a very warm voice acoustically.
The Pure Vintage '63 pickups are a bit punchier and pokier than '50s-style Tele pickups, and were often used back then to great effect by the rock n' roll bands of the day. We think these pickups work great with the warm acoustic tone of the guitar to give it a very sweet tonal palette.
For a faithful reissue of one of the Tele's most iconic eras, this AVRI II 1963 model is most definitely the move. This specific Transparent Crimson color is extra special as it's the only one of the line to get the mahogany body.
By 1963, a new combination of tonewoods married the punch and focus of alder with the warmth added by a round-lam rosewood fingerboard, enhancing the signature Tele® twang. Featuring Pure Vintage ‘63 Telecaster® pickups, triple threaded-steel saddle bridge and a comfortable “C”-shape maple neck, the American Vintage II 1963 Telecaster reproduces the quintessential tone and feel of the original. Characteristic of production in 1963, this Tele features clay dots (narrow-spaced at the 12th fret), a 7.25” radius fingerboard fingerboard and is offered in three colors: Crimson Red Transparent over mahogany and 3-Color Sunburst or Surf Green over alder.
Fender®, Squier®, Stratocaster®, Telecaster®, Precision Bass®, Jazz Bass® and the distinctive headstock designs commonly found on the Strat®, Tele® & P Bass® guitars are registered trademarks of Fender Musical Instruments Corporation
- Body: Mahogany
- Color: Crimson Red Transparent
- Body Finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Body Shape: Telecaster®
- Headstock: Telecaster®
- Neck Material: Maple
- Neck Finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Neck Shape: 1963 "C"
- Neck Construction: 4-Bolt
- Fingerboard Radius: 7.25" (184.1 mm)
- Fingerboard Material: Round-Laminated Rosewood
- Position Inlays: Clay Dot
- Side Dots: Vintage Clay
- Number of Frets: 21, Vintage Tall
- Truss Rod: Vintage-Style Butt Adjust
- Truss Rod Nut: Vintage-Style Butt Adjust
- Nut Width: 1.650" (42 mm)
- Nut Material: Bone
- Bridge: Pure Vintage 3-Saddle Tele® with Threaded Steel Barrel Saddles
- Bridge Cover/Tailpiece: Includes Chrome Bridge Cover
- Pickguard: 3-Ply Parchment
- Control Knobs: Knurled Flat-Top
- Switch Tip: Top Hat Style, Black
- Hardware Finish: Nickel/Chrome
- Tuning Machines: Pure Vintage Single Line "Fender Deluxe"
- String Trees: Vintage-Style
- Strings: Fender® USA 250R Nickel Plated Steel (.010-.046 Gauges), PN 0730250406
- Neck Plate: 4-Bolt Serialized
- Strap Buttons: Vintage-Style
- Bridge Pickup: Pure Vintage '63 Single-Coil Tele®
- Neck Pickup: Pure Vintage '63 Single-Coil Tele®
- Pickup Configuration: SS
- Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
- Switching: 3-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
- Case: Vintage-Style Brown (Orange Interior)
- Series: American Vintage II
- Orientation: Right-Hand
- Country Of Origin: US
- Instrument Weight: 8 lbs