The 1972 Telecaster Thinline was a bold step for both Fender and the Telecaster at the time of its inception, and the dual humbuckers and "thinline" construction complete with F-Hole are reminiscent of a certain other big guitar manufacturer's semi-hollow offerings at the time. However, it has become a cult classic among guitarists and fans of the Tele beyond the typical in its own right, and Fender has brought it back in 2022 in its purest form. Equipped with its quintessential ash with a 3-Color Sunburst finish, pearloid pickguard, and a vintage tinted maple neck, the American Vintage II 1972 Telecaster Thinline is the iconic axe back with a vengeance.
The new American Vintage II series brings back the original "American Vintage Reissue (AVRI)" of old with improved upon pickup design, more accurate neck shapes, and other period-correct specs. A lot of us here at the shop grew up lusting after those guitars and we're glad to finally get these into our hands years later.
On this Tele, Fender brought back authentic CuNiFe magnet Wide Range humbucker pickups in the past couple of years after not producing them for decades, and their unique tone definitely comes through in this guitar - they sit right between a PAF humbucker and a single-coil and sound great both clean and distorted. Nothing really sounds quite like they do.
For a unique, classy take on the Telecaster that also fulfills humbucker guitar duties, this AVRI II 1972 Thinline is definitely worth plugging in.
Featuring a “C”-shape hard rock maple neck, the American Vintage II 1972 Telecaster® Thinline plays like a dream with a 7.25” radius fingerboard and vintage tall frets. To create authentic Wide-Range humbucking pickups, Fender resurrected CuNiFe magnets, an essential element in recreating the sonics of the originals. Characteristic of production in 1972, this Thinline is outfitted with a convenient "Bullet" style truss rod nut, three-bolt neck plate with Micro-Tilt™ mechanism, “F” stamped tuners, 6-saddle string-through body hardtail with bent steel saddles and offered in Aged Natural, 3-Color Sunburst, and Lake Placid Blue over a semi-hollow ash body.
The instruments in the American Vintage II series are direct descendants of the original Fenders: designed for players with a fine appreciation for vintage Fender tone and feel and built with unmatched quality, down to the last screw. These are Fender electrics in their purest form: Fender American Vintage II, the stuff of legends.
Fender®, Squier®, Stratocaster®, Telecaster®, Precision Bass®, Jazz Bass® and the distinctive headstock designs commonly found on the Strat®, Tele® & P Bass® guitars are registered trademarks of Fender Musical Instruments Corporation
- Series: American Vintage II
- Orientation: Right-Hand
- Color: 3-Color Sunburst
- Country Of Origin: US
- Headstock: Telecaster®
- Neck Material: 1-Piece Maple
- Neck Finish: Gloss Polyurethane
- Neck Shape: 1972 "C"
- Neck Construction: 3-Bolt
- Fingerboard Radius: 7.25" (184.1 mm)
- Fingerboard Material: Maple
- Position Inlays: Black Dot
- Side Dots: Black
- Number of Frets: 21
- Truss Rod: Bullet Style
- Truss Rod Nut: Bullet Style
- String Nut: Bone
- Nut Width: 1.650" (42 mm)
- Nut Material: Bone
- Body: Semi-Hollow Ash
- Body Finish: Gloss Polyurethane
- Body Shape: Telecaster®
- Body Material: Semi-Hollow Ash
- Bridge: Pure Vintage 6-Saddle String-Through Body Hardtail with Bent Steel Saddles
- Bridge Cover/Tailpiece: Includes Chrome Bridge Cover
- Bridge Mounting: 3-Screw Vintage-Style Hard-Tail
- Pickguard: 4-Ply Aged White Pearloid
- Pickup Covers: Chrome
- Control Knobs: Knurled Flat-Top
- Switch Tip: Top Hat Style, Black
- Hardware Finish: Nickel/Chrome
- Tuning Machines: Pure Vintage Fender® “F” Stamped
- String Trees: Butterfly
- Strings: Fender® USA 250R Nickel Plated Steel (.010-.046 Gauges), PN 0730250406
- Neck Plate: 3-Bolt “F” Stamped with Micro-Tilt™, Serialized
- Strap Buttons: Vintage-Style
- Bridge Pickup: Authentic CuNiFe Wide-Range Humbucking
- Neck Pickup: Authentic CuNiFe Wide-Range Humbucking
- Pickup Configuration: HH
- Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
- Switching: 3-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
- Case: Hardshell
- Instrument Weight: 6.9 lbs