Just in - another beautiful Strat from the Fender Custom Shop! This stunning '56 Stratocaster Journeyman Relic is part of a group of eleven very special one-of-a-kind instruments we took home at the Fender Custom Shop Spring & Summer 2023 Event.
This gorgeous guitar has all the ingredients that make a '50s Fender Stratocaster incredible and the aesthetic touches that truly make it a convincing vintage recreation. It features a gorgeous '55 Desert Tan finish that is really quite unique - it's essentially white, but a different, distinct shade of white that stands out from the typical Olympic/Vintage White you commonly see on vintage Fenders. This is a color that's going to age beautifully as time goes on! It also comes with a one-piece maple neck, and an excellent Journeyman Relic pattern that remains tasteful whilst having the worn-in look and feel of a well-loved instrument. It's subtle, but classy and true-to-life.
The resonant alder body and Riftsawn Maple neck come together for the familiar tonal recipe found on all of your heroes' '50s-era Strats. The aging on the nitro lacquer is simply perfect. The neck shape as well is both classic yet enduring - the '54 soft-V is an instantly recognizable shape. At .94 to .97, it's very beefy and works great in combination with the unique 7.25 - 9.5" compound neck radius and 47095 frets. Part of the aging on this guitar is the sanded neck back, which allows for a more natural-feeling, smooth playing experience without the usual stickiness of a new gloss finish.
The Tomatillo hand-wound pickups sound amazing as well, and their softer attack with their Alnico II magnets pair amazingly with the bright and focused tone of the alder body and maple neck. We think they work perfectly in this guitar and offer a really warm, yet balanced Strat tone. Really woody and vintage sounding! Like a good amount of contemporary sets, the middle pickup is also RW/RP, which means you get no hum in the 2 and 4 positions.
You know you're getting a special instrument in your hands any time you pick up something built by Fender's Custom Shop team, and this guitar is sure to not only meet but exceed your expectations.
Fender®, Squier®, Stratocaster®, Telecaster®, Precision Bass®, Jazz Bass® and the distinctive headstock designs commonly found on the Strat®, Tele® & P Bass® guitars are registered trademarks of Fender Musical Instruments Corporation
- Model: '56 Stratocaster
- Body Wood: Alder
- Color: '55 Desert Tan
- Aging: Journeyman Relic
- Construction: Bolt-On
- Fretboard: Riftsawn Maple (One-Piece)
- Neck: Riftsawn Maple
- Finish: Aged Medium Tint Nitro
- Scale Length: 25.5"
- Frets: 21, Medium Vintage 47095
- Radius: 7.25" - 9.5" Compound
- Neck Profile: '54 Strat Soft "V"
- Nut Width: 1.625"
- 1st Fret Neck Thickness: .940"
- 12th Fret Neck Thickness: .970"
- Tuners: Vintage-Style Fender Logo
- Bridge: Custom Shop Vintage-Style Tremolo
- String Tree: American Vintage '56 - '58 Nickel/Chrome
- Hardware Finish: Nickel/Chrome Relic
- Pickguard: '54 - '58 .060 Parchment Relic
- Pickup Covers & Knobs: Vintage White
- Pickups: Custom Hand-Wound Tomatillo Relic Strat, RW/RP Middle
- Controls: Volume, Tone, Tone, 5-Way Switch (Vintage-Modern Wiring)
- Case: Tweed Custom Shop Hardshell
- Certificate of Authenticity, Spec Sheet, Limited Edition Certificate, and Case Candy Included
- Instrument Weight: 7.6 lbs