While all artist signature Fender guitars that come through here at the shop are excellent instruments, there have been a few cases over the years when there are just some slight differences from the non-signature production models that may leave something to be desired - that has never been the case with Jim Root's series of Fender axes. Even non-metal players such as myself have grown to love the perfect balance of respect towards Fender tradition and making it something all his own as far as a "signature" guitar goes, and this sweet Telecaster in Flat White with a striking black pickguard and hardware is no exception.
Keeping the vintage Tele body shape, Root and Fender transformed the axe a lean, mean metal machine with a rock-solid hardtail bridge, ebony fingerboard, contoured heel, a simplified control layout and his signature EMG pickups that dish out all the modern, aggressive active tones you can ask for.
If you're a Slipknot fan, a modern metal player who's looking to add a Fender to the collection, or just an appreciator of Teles who wants something a little bit different than the usual, this Jim Root Telecaster would make a fine addition to your collection!
The Root of Crushing Tele® Tone
For heavy, molten nu-metal Tele® style, the Jim Root Telecaster delivers crushing detuned tone with a stark utilitarian look. The towering Slipknot guitarist worked with Fender to create a huge-sounding signature Telecaster model that complements his heavy playing style, and it's a beast—right down to its 12"-radius fingerboard, EMG® active humbucking pickups, sparse control layout and more. Brutal.
- Mahogany body
- Flat Black and Flat White satin nitro-lacquer finishes
- Ebony or maple 12”-radius fingerboard with 22 medium jumbo frets
- EMG® 60 (neck) and 81 (bridge) active humbucking pickups
- Single control knob (volume) and three-way pickup switch
- Hardtail strings-thru-body bridge
Highlights EMG® Active Humbucking Pickups
For a decidedly non-traditional design and configuration, the crushing nu-metal sound of the Jim Root Telecaster is produced by a fearsome pair of EMG® active humbucking pickups.
12" Fingerboard Radius
This instrument features a fingerboard radius (the amount of curvature across the width of the fingerboard) that, at 12", is substantially more flattened than both a vintage-style 7.25" radius and a modern 9.5" radius. Feels notably flat even though there’s still slight curvature, and is great for bending notes without fretting out.
A convenient high-end, high-performance feature, locking tuners offer increased tuning stability, especially on tremolo-equipped guitars, and they make changing strings substantially faster and easier than conventional tuners.
The Jim Root Telecaster offers a darkly alluring ebony fingerboard for smooth performance and a touch of elegance.
Satin Lacquer Mahogany Body
This guitar’s strong and resonant mahogany body has a finish that combines the thin breathability of lacquer with the stylishly muted matte look of a satin color coat.
In a pleasingly malevolent touch, the sparsely appointed Jim Root Telecaster features an all-black bridge, controls, bridge pickup bezel, tuners, strap buttons and more.
Fender®, Squier®, Stratocaster®, Telecaster®, Precision Bass®, Jazz Bass® and the distinctive headstock designs commonly found on the Strat®, Tele® & P Bass® guitars are registered trademarks of Fender Musical Instruments Corporation
- Body Material: Mahogany
- Body Finish: Satin Lacquer
- Body Shape: Telecaster®
- Neck Material: Maple
- Neck Finish: Satin Urethane
- Neck Shape: Modern "C"
- Scale Length: 25.5" (64.77 cm)
- Fingerboard Material: Ebony
- Fingerboard Radius: 12" (305 mm)
- Number of Frets: 22
- Fret Size: Medium Jumbo
- Nut Material: Synthetic Bone
- Nut Width: 1.650" (42 mm)
- Position Inlays: White Dot
- Truss Rod: Bi-Flex™
- Bridge Pickup: EMG® 81
- Neck Pickup: EMG® 60
- Controls: Master Volume
- Switching: 3-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3.
- Neck Pickup
- Configuration HH
- Bridge: 6-Saddle String-Through-Body Hardtail With Block Saddles
- Hardware Finish: Black
- Tuning Machines: Deluxe Staggered Cast/Sealed Locking
- Pickguard: 1-Ply Black
- Control Knobs: Black Plastic
- Switch Tip: Black
- Neck Plate: 4-Bolt Custom
- Strings: Fender® USA 250L Nickel Plated Steel (.009-.042 Gauges), PN 0730250403
- Case/Gig Bag: Deluxe Black Tweed Hardshell
- Included Accessories: Black Tweed Case with Red Plush Interior
- Instrument Weight: 7.7 lbs