G&L Guitars CLF Research Doheny V12 Electric Guitar Old School Tobacco Burst
When the G&L Doheny was launched in 2017, its application of Leo’s modern features was expected. The breathtaking versatility of its MFD™ singe coil pickups, however, was a revelation, a guitar capable of delivering delicate, airy jangle all the way to thick, grindy single coil tones. Those pickups were painstakingly created by Johnny McLaren in the spirit of Leo’s later work at CLF Research.
The CLF Research Doheny V12 digs even deeper into the rapid pace of technical development that was the hallmark of Leo’s CLFR years, with particular focus on his late ’70s to early ’80s development of MFD guitar humbuckers. With the benefit of decades of hindsight and unlimited access to Leo’s technical work, brothers Dave and Johnny McLaren challenged themselves to create the most musical MFD guitar humbuckers ever to come from Fender Avenue. But they set their sights even higher: fulfill a vision Leo had for “end-to-end” humbuckers that would sound beautiful in series-humbucking, parallel-humbucking, and single coil modes. Pickups that would sit well in a variety of musical contexts, never short of either power or articulation. Pickups that would put a smile on Leo’s face.
Leo believed musicians could understand and benefit from more control over their instruments, and in his later years, Leo was particularly interested in fundamental coil control. The reward can be a surprisingly versatile instrument, and that’s why each of the Doheny V12’s MFD humbuckers is individually controlled by a 3-way mini toggle with classic CLF color-coloded switch tip, white for neck pickup and red for bridge pickup.
The period styling continues with original CLF black wrinkle powdercoating on a one-piece aluminum control plate/pickguard, a perfect backdrop for the exquisitely machined and chrome plated CLF knobs for volume, treble and bass. The Dual Fulcrum Vibrato features a CLF 3/16″ machined stainless steel vibrato arm for a period look while benefiting from today’s forged brass saddles and block. Put it all together, and the Doheny V12’s gorgeous looks and bold, pioneering spirit make it an offset for the ages.
- G&L USA CLF Research V12 Doheny
- Old School Tobacco Burst
- Thin Urethane Finish
- Mahogany (aka Oukume) Body
- Caribbean Rosewood (aka Chechen) Fretboard
- Hard-rock Maple Neck - Vintage Tint Gloss Finish
- G&L Modern Classic Neck Shape - 1 11/16” nut width with 1 5/8” string spacing allows a generous edge roll for superb comfort without string fall-off. Fairly slim with mild taper from 0.820” at 1st fret to 0.870” at the 12th fret.
- 9.5" Fretboard Radius
- 22 Medium Jumbo PLEK'd Frets
- White Pearl Dot Fretboard Inlays
- G&L MFD Humbucking Pickups
- Knobs: Volume, Passive Treble, Passive Bass
- Switches: 3-Position Pickup Selector, 2x Series/Split/Parallel Mini-Toggles (for each pickup)
- Chrome Hardware
- Dual Fulcrum Vibrato Bridge
- G&L Standard Tuners
- 1-Ply Black Crinkle Pickguard
- G&L Deluxe Hardshell Case, Owners Info, and Specs Sheet Included
- Instrument Weight: 9 lbs.