While the G&L ASAT® Classic is Leo’s final word on the traditional single-cutaway bolt-on axe with its Magnetic Field Design single-coil pickups, the new ASAT Classic Alnico has arrived to blend latter-day-Leo with uncompromising Alnico sonic flavor. Framed in a classic boxed-steel bridge, the single-coil Alnico V bridge pickup belts out meaty twang that that’ll stop you in your tracks, while individual brass saddles Leo upgraded for the ASAT Classic offer modern levels of intonation refinement. Flip to the Alnico V neck pickup and you’ll discover our spec offers a fuller tone that leaves those anemic old pickups in the dust. What’s more, the two pickups pair beautifully for an exceptionally sweet, jangly tone bursting with harmonics.
These Alnico wonders aren’t just another flavor-of-the-week, having been carefully refined by G&L’s Paul Gagon for personal guitars since the late 1970s. Back then, Gagon was an R&D engineer at another company when he was tasked with finding out what was so special about the early bolt-on guitars many players raved about. Gagon analyzed many examples of what were considered “holy grail” guitars, spending time out on the shop floor talking to builders still working in the pickup department since the ‘50s, all on a quest to discover where the real mojo was – and wasn’t. What he learned from the builders matched his own engineering analysis. You see, back in the day, the actual spec of pickups coming that down that old production line varied considerably. Moreover, that nagging imbalance between bridge and neck pickup was something he longed to improve on, and today, Gagon’s preferred pairing of Alnico V pickups has arrived to delight the ears of the discerning guitarists.
- Model: ASAT Classic Alnico
- Color: Vintage White
- Body: Empress
- Pickguard: 3-Ply White
- Body Contours: Front and Rear
- Construction: Bolt-On
- Fretboard: Indian Rosewood
- Neck Wood: Maple
- Finish: Satin Clear
- Scale: 25.5"
- Radius: 9.5"
- Frets: Medium Jumbo
- Neck Profile: Modern Classic - 1 11/16” nut width with 1 5/8” string spacing allows a generous edge roll for superb comfort without string fall-off. Fairly slim with mild taper from 0.820” at 1st fret to 0.870” at the 12th fret.
- Pickups: ASAT Classic Alnico Single-Coils
- Controls: Volume, Tone
- Pickup Selector: 3-Way Blade Switch
- Bridge: Boxed-Steel w/6-Saddles
- Tuners: G&L Standard 12:1 Ratio
- Spec Sheet and Certificate of Authenticity Included
- Case: Deluxe Black Tolex Hardshell
- Instrument Weight: 6.3 lbs