G&L USA ASAT Special Electric Guitar, Chechen Fingerboard, Hard Case - Rally Red
The G&L ASAT Special just might be the quintessential G&L guitar, viewed by many as Leo’s ultimate single-cutaway. Back in 1985, Leo Fender launched this model under the G&L Broadcaster name, which prompted a response from Fred Gretsch of Gretsch Guitars over the name just as it had thirty-five years earlier. History buffs will recall that the Broadkaster® name is owned by Gretsch, and once again, a Broadcaster from Leo was required to have its name changed. This time around, the name became "ASAT" which is US military shorthand for an "Anti-Satellite" missile.
The ASAT Special, as the model became known, features jumbo single-coil Magnetic Field Design pickups, each with a narrow bobbin aperture for a coil which is shallow yet wide. In this regard, an MFD jumbo single coil is similar to a P-90 or Jazzmaster pickup, yet the MFD principle provides a punchier bottom end and brighter top end sparkling with harmonics. Leo further departed with the past with the addition of his innovative Saddle-Lock bridge which transfers string energy right into the body end-grain for an incredibly resonant instrument. The result is one of the most versatile guitars ever, serving up ballsy twang to searing blues to smooth jazz tones.
- G&L USA ASAT Special
- Rally Red
- Alder Body
- Chechen (aka Carribean Rosewood) Fretboard
- G&L Modern Classic Neck Profile - 1 11/16” nut width with 1 5/8” string spacing allows a generous edge roll for superb comfort without string fall-off. Fairly slim with mild taper from 0.820” at 1st fret to 0.870” at the 12th fret.
- Satin Clear Neck Finish
- 9.5" Fretboard Radius
- 22 PLEK Dressed Medium Jumbo Frets
- Dot Inlays
- Scale Length 25 1/2"
- G&L Jumbo Single Coil MFD Pickups
- Controls: Volume, Tone, 3-Way Pickups Selector
- G&L Saddle-Lock Bridge
- 3-Ply White Pearloid Pickguard
- Individually Adjustable Saddles
- G&L Tuners
- Chrome Hardware
- G&L Deluxe Hardshell Case
- G&L Certificate of Authenticity and Specs Sheet
- Instrument Weight: 7.7 lbs
- SN: CLF1801161