The new CLF Research L-1000 brings back the best of the iconic passive G&L bass from 1980. Fans of the vintage G&L "wunkay" know what we're talking about. It's that rounded, fast shape of the neck combined with the slick feel of an old gloss finish. It's the clean, modern aesthetic of the original CLF/G&L headstock.
It's the tactile delight of those beautiful CLF Research knobs shimmering from an elegant chrome control plate. And of course, there's the legendary punch of the L-1000's MFD humbucker in OMG mode. Now take all that goodness and pack it into the slimmer mid-90s L-Series body shape for added comfort and lower weight, and you can make it through that 3 hour gig with tone and style to spare. And when you're on the road, you can count on the neck to be more stable than those beloved vintage wunkays, with a modern dual-action truss rod and twin graphite stiffening rods. Add it all up and you've got the best of the vintage CLF vibe with the best of modern G&L elements.
In the late 1970s, Clarence Leo Fender was looking forward to launching his new G&L brand featuring his latest innovations including Magnetic Field Design pickups and the Saddle Lock bridge. Leo developed these technologies at his CLF Research company, and production of the new G&L instruments took place in the CLF Research factory on Fender Avenue in Fullerton, California, where G&L production continues today.
The new CLF Research L-1000 is a fully modern “wunkay” that pays homage to its roots with classic details including the early CLF/G&L headstock and neck profile, beautifully reproduced CLF knobs and ’81 control plate, and color-coded mini-toggle switch tip.
Speaking of that mini-toggle, it has three positions to maximize the tones of that massive and passive MFD pickup:
- Parallel mode
- Single Coil mode
- Single Coil mode with bass boost added (OMG Mode)
- Model: CLF Research L-1000 Reissue
- Color: Royal Purple Metallic
- Body: Basswood
- Construction: Bolt-On
- Fretboard: Caribbean Rosewood
- Neck Material: Maple
- Neck Finish: Gloss Vintage Tint Urethane
- Neck Shape: CLF Slim C - 1 5/8" Nut Width, 9.5" Radius, .800" depth @ 1st Fret, .900" depth @ 12th Fret
- Radius: 9.5"
- Scale: 34"
- Frets: 21, Medium Jumbo, PLEK Dressed
- Pickup: G&L MFD Humbucker
- Controls: 1x Volume, 1x Passive Treble, 1x Passive Bass
- Mini-Toggle: Parallel / Single-Coil / Single-Coil with Bass Boost (aka OMG mode)
- Bridge: G&L Saddle-Lock
- Tuners: G&L Ultra Lite
- Case: G&L Black Tolex Hardshell
- Made in Fullerton, California
- Instrument Weight: 9.2 lbs