Thirty-three years after the release of one of the most legendary and iconic signature guitars of all time, the Ibanez JEM, Steve Vai and Ibanez have once again collaborated on something completely new, in what Steve has described as "the next evolution of the JEM". After all those years with his trusty JEM guitars at his side, Steve recently felt an urge to design a new guitar that reflected his own personal growth and journey as an artist since the release of the Ibanez JEM in 1987.
Steve and Ibanez worked tirelessly over a period of time in order realize Steve's vision; a guitar that can not only capture the same thrill and exhilaration that his JEM guitars have always provided, but also one that adds new elements of aesthetics, design, and function. After an exciting process of research and development, Steve and Ibanez were able to create something that exceeded all expectations, something that Steve has deemed "Paradise in Art".
Ibanez is proud to now offer this new guitar, the Ibanez PIA, as the next of evolution of our amazing partnership with Steve Vai. The 'Petal Grip', arguably the most eye-catching feature of the PIA, is something that Steve feels visually represents the bond that two entities can create when in synergy with one another. It is this synergy, and its ability to create a dynamic system in which the whole is greater than its parts, that the Ibanez PIA is born.
- The 5pc Maple/Walnut neck provides tonal clarity and superior attack.
- Rosewood fretboard provides a well-balanced solid tone with a focused mid range.
- tainless steel frets boast excellent corrosion resistance. The wide and tall fret-type offers a quick response, good articulation when playing chords and clear tone when playing single notes. The Prestige Fret Edge Treatment guarantees effortlessly fast playing.
- The Alder body delivers a well-balanced bright tone, enriched resonance and sustain.
- Based on Steve's tonal preferences, DiMarzio UtoPIA pickups are voiced for smoother highs, scooped mids and a more pronounced low-end. DiMarzio UtoPIA pickups incorporate beautiful aesthetics and design elements meant to complement the cosmetic features of the guitar.
- Gotoh machine heads provide super precision, smooth feel, and minimal back lush.
- The masterpiece Edge bridge offers exceptional tuning stability, precise intonation adjustment, and playing comfort.
- A high pass filter on the volume pot maintains highs at low volumes.
- The Luminlay side dot position marks make it easy for players to see fretboard position marks when performing on dark stages.
- Ibanez Hardshell case gives extreme protection for your beloved instrument.
- Exclusively designed for the PIA, the new Petal Grip offers a balanced, contemporary design aesthetic. It’s also meant to symbolize unity, companionship, and interpersonal bonds.
- The tremolo cavity plate is held in place magnetically, allowing for quick removal and reinstallation when changing strings or adjusting the tremolo system.
- The newly designed PIA Blossom inlay is gorgeous, prominent, and elegantly imparts Steve Vai’s trademark style and artistic vision.
- Scalloped Fretboard on 21st-24th Frets for easier high-note bending and tapping
- The Ultralite Tremolo Arm achieved a significant reduction in weight by utilizing Carbon Graphite for the grip, resulting in less interaction with strings and more sensitive control of the tremolo arm movement.
- Body Wood: Alder
- Finish/Color: Blue Powder
- Neck Wood: 5-Piece Maple/Walnut
- Neck Shape: PIA
- Construction: Bolt-On (AANJ)
- Radius: 16.9"
- Fretboard Wood: Rosewood
- Fretboard Inlays: PIA Blossom
- Frets: 24 Jumbo Stainless Steel
- Scale Length: 25.5"
- Nut Width: 1.692"
- Nut: Locking
- Bridge: Ibanez Edge Double-Locking Tremolo
- Tuners: Gotoh SG381
- Neck Pickup: DiMarzio UtoPIA Humbucker
- Middle Pickup: DiMarzio UtoPIA Single-Coil
- Bridge Pickup: DiMarzio UtoPIA Humbucker
- Controls: Volume (w/ High-Pass Filter Push-Pull), Tone, 5-way Blade Pickup Switch
- Strings: D'Addario .009-.042
- Case: Hard Case
- Instrument Weight: 7.8 lbs