The Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe is the perfect dreadnought acoustic that straddles the traditional and vintage with the modern and innovative. It really feels like a culmination of Martin's history masterfully crafted with some influences and signs for where they're going in the future.
The best example is probably in the VTS treatment of the top. It's a new technology called the Vintage Tone System which, as the name implies, helps the guitar sound and feel more vintage. So whereas most acoustic guitars require lots of playing time on them for the sound to truly open up and sound its best, the idea here is that as soon as you pull this out of the case for the first time, the guitar is already well on its way towards that end goal. And you know what? This is more than just gimmicks and marketing jargon. The VTS is real! The "Modern Deluxe" moniker is almost a misnomer because this guitar feels and sounds wonderfully vintage.
At the end of the day, we probably all know roughly what a dreadnought acoustic guitar with rosewood back and sides and a Sitka spruce top is going to sound like. But this one achieves that perfect marriage of yesteryear's sound with build quality that reflects nearly two centuries of progress, and one that continues to move the needle forward in terms of innovation in the design and construction process. This is the classic D-28 through and through, but just even better right out of the box. It will only continue to improve the more it's loved and played!
The D-28 Modern Deluxe is a new take on Martin Vintage. This guitar is packed with custom features and modern technology that you have to see, feel, and hear for yourself. The vintage appointments include a spruce VINTAGE TONE SYSTEM® (VTS) top, a dovetail neck joint, and natural protein glue construction that give it the rich, fully aged Martin tone that has inspired generations. The look is unlike anything in our production line to date with European flamed maple binding, stylish gold frets, gold open-gear tuners, and a unique 1930s style script logo inlaid in pearl on the headstock. Some ultra-modern features include Liquidmetal® bridge pins with red dots and a composite carbon fiber bridgeplate that boosts volume. And we’ve included a new neck shape that is slightly asymmetrical for maximum hand comfort up and down the fretboard. This guitar is anything but standard.
- D-14 Dreadnought Body Shape
- Solid Sitka Spruce Top - VTS (Vintage Tone System)
- Solid East Indian Rosewood Back and Sides
- Polished Gloss Top, Back, Sides
- Style 28 Multi-Stripe Rosette
- Zig-Zag Authentic Back Purfling
- Diamond and Square Long Pattern Inlays
- Forward-Shifted "X" Scalloped Bracing
- Solid Sitka Spruce Braces
- Dovetail Neck Joint
- Vintage Belly w/ Drop-In Long Bone Saddle
- Solid Black Ebony Bridge
- Select Hardwood Neck
- Solid Black Ebony Fretboard
- 25.4" Scale Length
- 16" Fretboard Radius
- Vintage Deluxe High-Performance Taper Neck Shape
- Top Inlay Style: Bold Herringbone
- 20 PLEK'd Frets
- Compensated White Tusq Nut
- 1 3/4" Nut Width
- Solid East Indian Rosewood Headplate
- Gold Open-Geared Tuning Machines w/ Butterbean Knobs
- Beveled, Polished Tortoise Color Pickguard
- Martin Hardshell Case
- Instrument Weight: 4.3 lbs