The PRS McCarty model pays homage to a legacy of innovation. As the President of Gibson during a true golden era of guitar building (1950-1966), Ted McCarty was a pioneer of the electric guitar and musical instrument industry. In the late 1980’s, Paul Reed Smith called on Ted to consult with him on guitar design and production techniques. He not only served as Paul’s mentor but became a great friend of Paul and everyone he met at PRS.
In 1994, PRS released the first McCarty, an instrument that incorporated the full spectrum of techniques and knowledge Paul had gained from Ted as well as his own experiences as a guitar builder. It is in honor of Ted McCarty – his knowledge, his friendship, and his memory – that PRS reintroduced the McCarty model.
The PRS McCarty model features a slightly thicker back for enhanced tone and sustain and the 58/15 treble and bass pickups, which were personally designed by Paul Reed Smith. 58/15’s are a vintage style pickup with exceptional clarity and focused midrange. Additional appointments include a push/pull tone control with a 3-way toggle pickup switch for a complete palette of tones, a bound rosewood fretboard, and PRS stoptail bridge with brass studs for added resonance.
- Model: McCarty 10-Top
- Color: Purple Iris
- Top: Flame Maple 10-Top
- Back: Mahogany, Natural
- Construction: Set Neck
- Fretboard: East Indian Rosewood
- Neck: Mahogany, Gloss
- Profile: Pattern - 1 11/16” width and 28/32” depth @ nut
- Fretboard Binding: Parchment
- Inlays: Birds
- Scale: 25"
- Frets: 22
- Radius: 10"
- Pickups: 58/15 Bass and Treble
- Controls: 1x Volume, 1x Tone (push/pull for coil-split)
- Pickup Selector: 3-Way Toggle Switch
- Bridge: Adjustable Wraparound Stoptail
- Tuners: Phase III Locking w/ Faux Bone Buttons
- Hardware Finish: Hybrid
- Case: Black Tolex Deluxe Hardshell
- Instrument Weight: 7.6 lbs.