Modern Inspiration and Timeless Design
The FG heritage extends back to the 1966 release of the FG180, the first production acoustic guitar by Yamaha. In the more than half-century since, we have balanced traditional guitar craft with a spirit of constant refinement, pursuing our vision of the ideal folk guitar.
Inspired by the iconic Yamaha "red label" guitars of the 1960s, FG Red Label guitars feature a semigloss finish and high-quality components to deliver a beautiful, vintage aesthetic.
Powerful Vintage Tone
A custom-treated, Sitka spruce top paired with mahogany back and sides deliver genuine aged-wood tone and sustain.
A scalloped bracing pattern offers louder, more balanced tone.
New Atmosfeel™ Pickup and Preamp System
The new Yamaha Atmosfeel™ three-way pickup system provides a remarkably natural plugged-in sound.
The original Yamaha FG body delivers a full, punchy low end, well-suited for strumming and flatpicking, and 1960s aesthetics and modern craftsmanship culminate over 50 years of Yamaha guitar development.
- Atmosfeel™ Pickup and Preamp for Natural, Plugged-In Sound
- Scalloped FG Bracing Provides Warm, Powerful Tone with Deep Lows and Rich Harmonics
- Acoustic Resonance Enhancement (A.R.E.) Treatment Imparts the Sound and Sustain of Aged Wood
- All-Solid Construction with a Sitka Spruce Top, Mahogany Back and Sides
- Ebony Fingerboard, Bridge and Bridge Pins
- Bone Nut and Saddle
- Made in Japan
- Hardshell Case Included
Classic V-Shaped Headstock
The guitar retains the original FG headstock shape, adorned with the iconic "tuning fork" logo. The traditional truss rod cover is emblazoned with "Since 1966" to mark the launch of the first FG models.
Solid Sitka Spruce Top
Commonly sourced from Canada and Alaska, solid Sitka spruce offers a rich midrange and low-frequency response. The sound is tight and focused, working particularly well for chordal strumming or rhythmic fingerstyle performance.
Solid Mahogany Back and Sides
Mahogany has a slower transient response than many other tonewoods, contributing to a warm and woody tone with strong midrange.
Bone Nut and Saddle
These made-in-Japan, five-tier instruments feature a bone nut and saddle. Bone is a harder material than urea, providing a more efficient transfer of energy from the strings to the neck and body.
The result is a louder and clearer sound.
In defining the sound of FG Red Label, our intention was to offer a warm tone that would be ideal for modern folk music and singer-songwriters.
With careful measurement and experimentation, we made several refinements that would enhance low-frequency response without compromising durability. These changes are optimized for the natural characteristics of the tonewoods and each body silhouette.
Acoustic Resonance Enhancement (A.R.E.)
The exclusive Yamaha A.R.E. process utilizes heat, humidity and atmospheric pressure to accelerate the aging of the wood and gives the instrument a rich, vintage-quality tone as if you've been playing it for years.
Atmosfeel™ 3-Way Pickup and Preamp System
The Atmosfeel™ pickup and preamp system uses a piezo sensor in the bridge to capture low frequencies, a microphone for low and midrange and our proprietary, thin synthetic sheet soundboard transducer for high frequencies. The result is a full, natural sound with simple controls that make it easy to get great plugged-in tone.
Simple and Intuitive Controls for Each Performance Style
Atmosfeel™ preamp controls let you blend the microphone sound into the premixed pickup sound. The microphone sound particularly complements solo performers and chordal players, while a lower blend may be preferred by fingerstyle players and guitarists who need to cut through a full band.
The bass knob controls a peaking EQ. The center frequency rises when boosting and lowers when attenuating, so that low frequencies, which could be problematic on stage, can be removed but never added.
- Body Shape: Traditional Western
- Scale Length: 634 mm (25”)
- Body Length: 505 mm (19 7/8")
- Total Length: 1029 mm (40 1/2")
- Body Width: 412 mm (16 1/4")
- Body Depth: 100-118 mm (3 15/16”- 4 5/8”)
- Nut Width: 44 mm (1 3/4”)
- String Spacing: 11 mm
- Top Material: Solid Sitka Spruce
- Back Material: Solid Mahogany
- Side Material: Solid Mahogany
- Neck Material: African Mahogany
- Fingerboard Material: Ebony
- Fingerboard Radius: R400 mm (15 3/4")
- Bridge Material: Ebony
- Nut Material: Bone
- Saddle Material: Bone
- Bridge Pins: Ebony
- Tuners: Open Gear Chrome(Y1D)
- Body Binding: Black + White
- Soundhole Inlay: Black + White
- Pickguard: Wooden type
- Body Finish: Semi-Gloss
- Neck Finish: Matte
- Electronics: Atmosfeel (Undersaddle Pickup + Contact Sensor + Mic)
- Controls: Master Volume, Mic Blend, Bass EQ
- Connections: LINE OUT
- Strings: Elixir NANOWEB 80/20 Bronze Light
- Accessories: Soundhole Cover, Hex Wrench
- Case: Hardshell Case